Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Queen

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

The Queen of where?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭fran38

The queen of where? .....oh it's already been asked I see.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

It’s not looking too good ATM for Her Majesty - doctors are “deeply concerned” for her health. Prince Charles and other members of the UK royal family are traveling up to Balmoral to be with the Queen.

Looks like this might be it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

I am not a royalist but I kinda like the old lady.

"King Charles" sounds like a dog's name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭BingCrosbee

She was a great representative for Britain. I think maybe the Royal family will end here.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭BingCrosbee

I think it’s important to be respectful of our neighbours who respect their British institution. She was a great ambassador even though we might not understand the pomp and ceremony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

As an English citizen who was a child when Elizabeth came to the throne... It was still relatively soon after the War that devastated the country.. and members of the Royal Family served in the war in the same dangers as every other soldier.

EVery family had lost someone in the War. And there was strict rationing of food etc. The Post War years were bleak.. and the Royals lived and worked with their people and were respected and loved,

We grew up with Charles and Anne. The Royal Family was OUR Family . Hard to express as there is nothing like it here or indeed anywhere in the world. They did a huge huge amount for the morale of Engl and in those dark war and post war years and since.

Oh folk now may speak disparagingly as times have changed. But that does not change the giving they did.

The weekend I came to Ireland the Queen Mother died. Another great lady and a figurehead.

I know rfrom the few posts I saw that ... well , mixed.. Saying goodbye to Queen Elizabeth is saying goodbye to a whole lifetime of tradition..

A part of English life as whole generations of us knew and lived it. Devoted to her country and her people.

I was going offline anyways for a different reason so will say fare thee well..

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Why am I not surprised that as she nears her final moments, some posters here just have to vent their hatred for the Queen and her country?

Par for the course with boards these days, really... 😔😒

I am not a big fan of the UK monarchy in any way - they are a very outdated institution that serves no real purpose in this day and age, but mocking the Queen and her family at this time is pretty crass and spiteful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Everything will effectively be shut down over there for a 'mourning period'

If you have any events/holidays etc booked over there in the next while I'd be becoming a little anxious right now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Liz Truss shared your views in 1994. Maybe in time you will change like she did.

"An interview with ITV News, recorded in 1994, has emerged in which the then student, who attended Roundhay School in Leeds, said she was "against the idea that people can be born to rule".

Ms Truss, who was 18 at the time, said in the clip: "I'm not against any of [the Royals] personally, I'm against the idea that people can be born to rule – that people, because of the family they are born into, should be able to be the head of state of our country. I think that's disgraceful."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

A lot of folk around the world would agree with Truss. I know I do too.

But majority in the UK are royalists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭OmegaRed

mass family gathering... deffo brown bread!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

people should respect the fact that a person is dead/dying. on a human level that is sad and the family should be respected. zero respect needs to be shown to an outdated and ridiculous institution

i doubt she has actually changed her views on the matter to be honest, her backtracking on this give a sense of damage limitation to me. i somehow think if she werent to be in the position she now is then her opinion would not have publicly softened.

her original statement is more or less a perfect summation of the ridiculousness of monarchy. surely we've evolved as a society past the need to venerate someone simply because we venerated their parents etc,? democratically elected politicians arent exactly amazing either but at least you can argue that they are decided upon by the majority of the people

people should be sad for her family/friends etc, same as they should be for anyone that passes away. apart from that, for people not directly linked to the queen it shouldnt make a jot of difference to them personally

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

Summary

1. The Queen is under medical supervision at Balmoral Castle in Scotland, a statement from Buckingham Palace says
    2. Her doctors are concerned for her health, but say the 96-year-old monarch "remains comfortable"
    3. All of the Queen's four children and Prince William are now in Scotland to be with her - Prince Harry is on his way
    4. Well-wishers are gathering at the gates of Balmoral, as well as outside Buckingham Palace, in London
    5. New UK Prime Minister Liz Truss says "the whole country will be deeply concerned by the news"
    6. The Archbishop of Canterbury says he is sending prayers and the first ministers of Scotland and Wales say the Queen is in their thoughts

Be interesting to see if the British public have reached North Korean levels of poisoned by propaganda

or will there be enough commonsense among ruling class over there, not to hold an extravagant funeral in middle of cost-of-living crisis when some many struggling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

All the news presenters wearing black clobber, do they know something we don't?

No need for hatred but no need for licking up either. It looks rather pitiful.

dont see it being anything other than a massive occasion to be honest. maybe going forward the interest in the royals will start to wane but this is going to be a big one

sums it up pretty perfectly tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

They don't want to have to do what BBC's Martine Croxall had to do when Prince Philip died, and change outfits quicker than Lady Gaga just to announce the news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

A government spending money on goods and services can be a good thing for the providers of those goods and services. You can bet that Operation London Bridge already has a sizeable budget allocated.

Plus, you forget who these big funerals are for. Not the deceased, who is gone already. Not the immediate family, who would surely prefer something quiet and personal. No, a State Funeral is a State occasion, an excuse for Heads of State to gather and commiserate with other Heads of State, to talk shop, get to know each other, and maybe even make a deal or two. If it costs taxpayers money, that’s fine, since it’s going back in to the economy. This isn’t a “broken window fallacy” situation, it’s a planned expense.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

This is a very interesting take on it. The royal family, as they are now are effectively cultural ambassadors with no real power.

I totally agree with you that nobody should be affected so much by the passing of an iconic individual that isn’t directly in their life… But, don’t we all have similar kind of attachments to individuals we shouldn’t ?

How much more influence or support does the queen/king of England have then say a Justin Bieber or a Ronaldo or that Kardashian show? I’d say this generation are now influenced by the thickest and most shallow individuals imaginable. And then they act as if they are above the old ways of revering individuals with no divine right to have that status. And worse still many will care and get unsettled about things a complete stranger says on twitter or in here!

Royalty has been replaced with celebrities. Monarchs replaced with billionaires who have significant power over the masses, especially by lobbying politicians and influencing how countries are run (or which institutions get bail outs).

I don’t see much difference or that any of us can look down our noses at those getting upset about the queens possible passing.

Theres people in England going hungry,pensioners going about on buses to keep warm......whole thing smacks of 'let them eat cake' attitude that permeates the entirety of English ruling class

I have no doubt it be an big event,just feel it's crass as fcuk on ordinary people over there.....you'd be hoping it will begin a collapse of support for monarchy....even that whole going to Scotland to die,smells of a powerplay to underpin a failing union with Scots desperate for independence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Yeah, you can bet there'll be a State Funeral to beat the band. Gorbachev, one of the most significant heads of state of the 20th century died and Russia couldn't have a State funeral for him, because no-one but a few tin-pot dictators would come. You can be certain that the UK won't turn down the opportunity to capitalise on the contrast, regardless of what people are paying for their electricity bills. In any case, the funeral has been planned for decades, and they already missed out on a big one for Prince Philip during Covid. I'd say if you polled the UK population, the majority would be well in favour of a big occasion specifically for her, regardless of the current economic climate.

Notification from The Guardian: Queen Elizabeth II has died.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

BBC just announced her death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭Doe Tiden

That’s it she’s gone, king Willie time now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

This wknds premier league games will be cancelled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

May she rest in peace.

Poor lady had to meet Boris and Liz Truss this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

King Chaz 3 has been in the queue for too long to let it go now

i do see your point, but id argue most or at least alot of celebrities have earned their fame through some sort of talent, though thats changing more and more as people become obsessed with the 'love-island' - style celebrity/influencer (chancer imo). much as im not a fan of beiber or ronaldo (or soccer in general for that matter), at least they have garnered fame by using their talent rather than simply being born (whether people are born naturally gifted or talent is earned is a different matter for a different day).

billionaires are a bit of a mixed one too, some being self made which deserves some level of praise and some obviously just being from inherited wealth.

but ya, i would also think that the average person shouldnt be too bothered by the passing of a celebrity either tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭Doe Tiden

On a more serious note I wonder if it will stir up trouble in the north?

Charles’ regnal name has not yet been announced. We can be confident that it won’t be Charles III.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Is that confirmed? Apparently, they didn’t cancel when the last king died. Cricket and rugby did, or so I’m told.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

It’s probably too close for this wknd, but likely next wknd will get cancelled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

It absolute will, ive no doubt the dregs of republicanism will be celebrating which will piss of all unionists and then its very quick to running battles with molotovs in the streets

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod - Please discuss in the CA thread, we dont need 2 threads running parallel, thanks

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058262492/queen-elizabeth-ii-dies#latest

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement