Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mealworm supplier in Ireland or EU

• 08-09-2022 4:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭

We keep Guinea Fowl and have them trained on mealworms. They will go in so we can lock them up safe from the fox each night with the help of a few mealworms. Without them its a pain.

For years we got the mealworms from ChubbyMealworms.co.uk who were always the cheapest supplier for quantity. Any prices in Ireland are 10 - 20 times more expensive. With Brexit Chubby aren't delivering outside the UK.

So anyone know of other suppliers of mealworms. We normally buy about 10kg at a time but will consider any sizes.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭Mech1

Breed them, it's easy and clean no smell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭Mech1

But it will take a few months to get up to decent amounts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I get them from birdfood.ie (now vivara.ie) which despite the .ie domain actually deliver from Netherlands/Germany. Free delivery for orders over €35. They're €34.95 for a 5kg bag, so actually cheaper than your UK supplier if I read their website correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

We have a winner. Thanks for that. No chubby are much cheaper. Best cubby deal on decent quantities is just under €10 per kilo and used to be free delivery. vivara is €35 for a 2kg bag unfortunately but still the best value of all the other options I've tried.

Ah, sorry, I thought that was for a 5kg bag, but as you say, still cheaper than other options.

• Advertisement

Just one problem with Vivara.ie they ship with DHL from Germany. 6 days from order and tracking shows its still in Germany.

I used them a few years ago when they were still calling themselves C J Wildlife and seem to remember orders back then were taking 2 weeks from Germany and suspect thats one reason I stopped using them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Might sound crazy but try Mr. Price.

I've bought meal worms there, seemed cheap but I don't remember the price per Kg

I've never had an order take 2 weeks, my last order was shipped on Tuesday 6th September and arrived on Tuesday 13th, so a week in total including a weekend. The status shows "The international shipment has been processed in the export parcel center" for ages and then suddenly appears on my doorstep, as once it lands in Ireland it's fairly quick from then on, and usually appears before the tracking updates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Binka

I buy meal worms for my bird table. The tits and robins love it. I buy it in 800g tubs for €12.50 (used to be €10 before brexit) from Petstop in Castlebar but you can get it from their online shop here:

It's free shipping over €25 and they're pretty fast.

Thanks, thats not too bad a price, over in the UK at the moment and just bought 12.5 Kg for £92 (sterling) including a tenner for next day delivery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭HorseSea

Breffini House Pets Windy Arbour, Dundrum Rd, they are great value and if you want larger quantities I think they can help as they pack their own. Give them a call.

Advertisement