Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1923 - Yellowstone - *Spoilers*

• 08-09-2022 7:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,871 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Joining previously announced leads Harrison Ford and Helen Mirren in Paramount+’s follow-up to 1883 will be Darren Mann (Animal Kingdom), James Badge Dale (24), Marley Shelton (The Lottery), Brian Geraghty (Big Sky), Michelle Randolph (A Snow White Christmas), Julia Schlaepfer (The Politician) and relative newcomer Aminah Nieves.

As reported, this newest chapter of Yellowstone‘s “origin story” will introduce viewers to the next two generations of the franchise’s central family, the Duttons “as they struggle to survive historic drought, lawlessness and prohibition, and an epidemic of cattle theft; all battled beneath the cloud of Montana’s great depression, which preceded the nation by almost a decade.”

TV Line

Post edited by The Black Oil on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,871 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Jerome Flynn Joins

Jennifer Ehle in also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,972 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It going to be two seasons of 8 episodes each

They are also now lookiing at setting two new series in the 40's & 60's

Taylor Sheridan’s Dutton Dynasty Growing: ‘1923’ To Span Two 8-Episode Seasons, With ’40s- & ’60s-Era Series Also Eyed 

We also hear that Sheridan is so drilled down into the Dutton ranch family dynasty behind Yellowstone that he is contemplating two separate limited series that encompass the struggle to hang onto the ranch in the 1940s and the 1960s.

Each 1923 season will be eight episodes, starring Harrison Ford, Helen Mirren, and a cast of bright young actors playing the three young sons and two daughters. While the bulk of the action focuses on the construction of the sprawling Yellowstone ranch in Montana, the series is also shooting in South Africa, Tanzania, and Malta, to give a sense of the saga’s scope.

Starts December 18th in the US and will drop on Paramount + here the next day.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Ericmorr

They're really going to ride this franchise into the ground, aren't they? That makes three different shows now I think. Expect a movie after the completion of the original.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

They probably have the sets, licensing and tax breaks all setup so making the shows are probably cheap enough (outside of salaries), they've some way to go before they get to the CSI/NCIS ranks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

That's was my thought exactly. I guess it is possible to write a few good stories around the history of one family over different time periods- they did that with the tv series Roots a good few years ago. The plot of 1883 was pretty ludicrous with the daughter, felt a bit like white-washing history but would be interesting to see Harrison Ford as a cowboy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Ericmorr

I liked 1883 okay but the daughter's narration and sudden turn to become native american was all pretty odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭thegame983

All this guy's stuff is great. Looking forward to it

Found that to be the weakest pilot episode of any of Taylor Sheridan’s shows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭moby2101

Very confusing

Helen Mirren’s Irish accent is bang on though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,026 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Four episodes in and I'm wondering how high I'm going to rank this when it's done. I love the development of the plot and characters, superior acting. It's up near 9/10 for me to this point.

Sometimes I forget how awesome Helen Mirren is.

I think im somewhat of the opposite view. I do like Ford's and Mirrens relationship feels very genuine but the African part is really so corny with the grizzled hunter and his horny girlfriend. Also Im not liking Sheridan's penchant for teasing the death of main characters but not following through with it- has happened a couple of times even in just four episodes, and has happened in Yellowstone.

Also how many times has Sheridan cast blonde blue eyed actresses in his shows?- feels like he has a type.

Well Isabel May has brown eyes. Kelly Reilly has green eyes.

Who are you talking about?

I stand corrected just blondes then- two in this show , one in 1893

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

• Advertisement

It's excellent. That's more than one person saying it. Maybe you need to get your ears checked. 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭geecee

Agree, sounds just like some of my (long dead) granny or grandaunts from west Clare, all she is missing is asking the girl if she wants a packet of Taytos!

I stand over my original comment, thats a damn fine irish accent 😂

Just watched the first episode! Anyone else cheer when the girl beat up that nun?

Renewed

Also looks to be coming on Channel 5

1923 (Yellowstone prequel) on Thursday February 9th at 10pm on Channel 5 (not sure if all the series or just one episode)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭dalyboy

I’m following this series on Paramount plus atm. It’s by far the best , most exciting and edge of your seat viewing on tv. Every story line they are pursing is attention grabbing.

The storyline with the church and the Native American students is both horrific and spell binding at the same time.

Fully recommended

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Do you need to have watched any of the other shows in this umbrella first or can you watch it as a standalone show?

You can watch it on its own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭omeara1113

Is 1923 the best TV show at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,394 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

No idea. Never even heard of it. What's it on? Who makes it? Who is in it? What's its about?

How long is it out?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,214 ✭✭✭Xander10

Is that the one they keep showing the trailer for with Helen Mirren doing a terrible Irish accent?

Yes

It's the lead up to yellow stone if your going to look at it you have to look at 1886 first is about the generations of the Dutton's

Post edited by omeara1113 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,087 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

what order would you watch. I am just currently in middle of season 2 of Yellowstone i believe

Well I watched Yellowstone first then 1886 currently 1923 I think it's the best of the lot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

I'd recommend watching them in the sequence which they originally aired.

You should watch Yellowstone seasons 1 to 4 first.

Then watch 1883. It is a one season, ten episode story with the main protagonist Elsa Dutton, the older sister of John Dutton Senior, she is the great aunt of John Dutton III (Kevin Costner's character in Yellowstone) It tells the story of how the Dutton family of James and Margaret Dutton (Tim McGaw & Faith Hill) came to Montana as pioneers and why the Yellowstone ranch is located where it is. There are a number of plotlines from the 1883 family's story revealed in a couple of flashbacks during Season 4, so you will know a little bit already going into the show from YS.

Then watch the first part of Yellowstone season 5 (episodes 1 to 8)

Then watch 1923 season 1 (eight episodes) This show is planned to last for two seasons.

After that lot you will be ready for whatever the second part of Yellowstone season 5 and the other spin-off shows brings us later in the year and beyond.

The two additional shows from which are also on the way soon:

6666 concerns a (real life) famous Texas ranch to which one of the long time characters of the main Yellowstone show was transferred. The relationship between the Yellowstone ranch and the 6666 has been establishing a lot in recent seasons. I expect this show to be very, very similar to the main show.

Bass Reeves is about the first black US deputy marshal (this was a real person), and though I'm unsure exactly how, the time in which Reeves lived suggests it may tie in somehow with characters introduced during the 1883 show.

Enjoy!

Post edited by duridian on

1923 sure is slow hard going

great characters but it’s turning into a bit of a slog

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I've watched them all as well and find 1923 to be the most gripping, I assume this is a spoiler free thread so I won't go into my reasons on thread.

• Advertisement

I think you are fine I dont think many are watching it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,146 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

There seem to be a lot of nasty feckers in 1923, nasty businessmen, nasty religious people, nasty lawmen, and nasty corrupt judges and politicians. It even highlights a nasty law, Miscegenation, a backward law that was still law well into the middle of the 20th Century.

I don't know how much exaggeration there is in 1923, but Montana at least must have been a nasty state to live in.

I think for most of history in any place your life would be pretty bad if you didnt have money or influence. Timothy Dalton is providing a worthy villain to the show- Yellowstone and 1883 both lack interesting villains

I'm liking 1923 because the storylines are seperated, they aren't forcing to have all the characters in 1 place at the same time and then making it clear that they aren't there, stuff like Kevin Cosner's lighting being completely different, camera over the shoulder characters during conversations, crap like that really annoy me.

The whole "Out of Africa" things is gripping for me, some great story telling, character development, etc. etc.

The 1 thing that's down for me is the whole Timothy Dalton character, he's either a moustache twirling villan or he's Joffrey, having him being both is odd.

(Thanks to the mods by the way for marking the spoilers)

Just finished it there, Jesus it’s a hard watch in places. Need to watch a comedy now or something

I've Walker Independence on my to watch list, it's CW show it'll be a bit easier to watch, probably a lot cleaner as well :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,659 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Just watched the first half of this last night and my god, the scenes in Nairobi were bloody awful. Just terrible Mills and Boon tripe. So badly contrasted with what was happening back in Montana.

Flimimg of the second season has been delayed indefinitely due to the writers strike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Just finished season one. Great story, great characters and great cast.

There wasn’t much surprise in John being killed. A Dutton not shown on the main credits is not going to be around for long. Same thing happened on YELLOWSTONE in the first episode.

Spencer and Alex are good enough to have a series just about them in Africa.

Timothy Dalton just superb as the Big Bad.

I kept expecting Teonna to end up under the protection of the Duttons until they revealed her family name. Nice to get some background to Rainwater. The Chairman and Mo are are a great pair of characters who are unforgivably sidelined in Season 4. They could carry a series set just in the office talking.

I don’t think Zane and Alice’s cliffhanger is going to have a happy outcome. Don’t think I’ve ever even heard the word before, let alone that it was alas. I dread finding out what happens to the poor woman in custody.

I’m confused by Alex’s royal title. Her ex-fiancé’s father is the Earl of Sussex, so his wife would be the Countess of Sussex. How can Alex also be the Countess of Sussex ?

Did/Does the captain of a British ship really have to obey a minor royal ? Surely the safety and protection of the passengers overrides that ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Did Joseph Mawles really leave RINGS OF POWER for that very small role in two episodes?

I thought he had been cast as a villain for season 2 or something. Seems mad to give up a big role for a guest star spot.

• Advertisement
Advertisement