Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Condolences to English contributors

• 08-09-2022 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭

The Queen came from my parent's generation that seemed to have a more balanced view of duty and integrity and her passing appears to close out the era of that wonderful generation of people and perhaps the sadness felt presently. Maybe people can learn that at a time where there is so much self-inflicted drama, people can go about their duty to society as individuals in the same spirit as that lady.

Post edited by DOCARCH on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭squonk

I would echo Orion’s contribution. She was a fantastic lady and a model of care to duty and standing by one’s values. Condolences to your UK contributors at this sad time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Timfy

A good many UK contributors add great value to this forum, companionship and comradery is a wonderful thing and helps, as did the actions of the Queen herself, draw a line under all the historical begrudgery.

I find it baffling that some idiots come into an obviously OT post to complain about it being OT. Are you just stupid or are you pushing some kind of agenda against a dead woman?

To stay on topic for the hard of thinking... King Charles III is a massive advocate of climate change research, alternative energies and metrological studies. His future support may benefit us all.

Some people just want to be "edgy" for the sake of it.

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭screamer

The reign ended (sorry couldn’t help myself, this being the weather forum)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭OldRio

Calling people 'stupid or having an agenda against a dead woman' because they have different views to yourself isn't a great look.

As for 'historical begrudgery'? I think you'll find it's a little more than that. I realise you're from the UK and would respectfully suggest you read a little about Irish history before commenting on how Irish people should react to this death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Timfy

Drifting even further OT so this will be my final take on the subject just to answer a few of your misconceptions.

Yes, you are quite correct in that I was born and raised in the UK. I have however lived in Ireland for many years, with my Irish wife and Irish family. I am an Irish citizen and am proud to live in a republic. Because of the lack of Irish history taught in UK schools, I made a point of researching as much as possible when the opportunity arose.

I am very much not a monarchist, although I have always thought that Elizabeth II held herself with dignity whilst all manner of crap was going on around her. The monarchy have no political powers beyond the ceremonial and haven't done for many generations. Blaming Elizabeth for any of the Irish tragedies is frankly ridiculous. However, and despite the Queen having close family members killed during the deepest depths of the troubles, by her actions, she had always shown an affinity for Ireland and its people as well as forwarding Irish / UK relationships.

The stupidity mentioned was of course referring to entering an OT post to complain that it was OT hence the "Old man shouts at clouds" image.

I genuinely apologise if I injured your sensibilities in any way, you appear to have strong opinions, but I don't feel that this is the time or place for point scoring.

End of conversation

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Orion402

I admired the lady as a fellow Christian with a strong sense of duty and dedication in her vocation. It is a rare quality that doesn't answer to great wealth or normal subsistence for both have their own burdens as well as gifts and talents.

In any case, my condolences once again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,489 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Orion your off topic posts never fail to amaze me, I'm still not convinced that you are not some kind of experimental ai bot. Sad as her passing is for the UK, what on earth has this got to do in the weather forum? There are plenty of other places to express your grief over her passing, this isn't one of them.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

As SC suggests, there are numerous other relevant threads/forums (on Boards) relating to the death of the Queen, where opinions and condolences can be expressed, but this isn't one of them.

May she rest in peace.

On that note I am closing this thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement