Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sole trader income tax Form 11 .. Do I put my health insurance in 'Other' health expenses.

Options
  • 09-09-2022 3:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

I am a sole trader, currently filling out form 11 on ROS for the year of 2021.

In the personal tax credits section there is a sub-section called "'Other' health expenses."

I am assuming I put the money I paid for health insurance in there, along with doctors visits and drugs n stuff?

I have looked here...

and it doesnt say *not* to put it in there, but also doesnt say specifically to put it there, which is odd as you would imagine most people biggest health expense each year would be the health insurance.

There is also a sub-section called "Medical Insurance Relief" but it says this..

Medical Insurance Premiums paid by your employerIf your employer paid premiums on your behalf to an authorised insurer in 2021 provide the following information in respect of each premium.

Note: Do not include any payments which are paid by you either directly to the insurer or through a salary deduction scheme. You have already received tax relief on those payments.

Which all taken together is simply confusing, I dont think I'm supposed to use this sub-section.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭nompere

You get tax relief at source on your health insurance premium, so it doesn't go into the return at all.

The only exception to this is an employee (which you aren't) who has the premium paid by the employer, when the employee can get some relief.

Advertisement