Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charger voltage difference

Options
  • 09-09-2022 9:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭

Probably not the right location for this question but thought the ppl who frequent here might be able to help. Mods, please move if more appropriate somewhere else.

Hypothetical question, if someone had an electronic device and the charger had to be replaced, how important is the output voltage of the replacement charger? Is a 0.1V difference a game changer? i.e. Original charger 5.9V, replacement charger 6V. Both 0.8A.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Check to see what it says on the device. The voltages on the chargers isn't an exact figure anyway. It depends on the load. For example DeWalts XR range of battery tools are sold as being 20V in the US where everything is bigger and better and as 18V in Europe. They are the same batteries and same tools. Its just the no load voltage of the batteries is 20V but its 18V when they are doing some work. Its the same for chargers.

So I don't see any problem. You might even find the device if it has any info written on it has a range of voltages that will work.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Jon Doe

That's 1.6% above spec so you should be fine. The device will just draw a bit less that 0.8A. Just make sure that both charger's outputs are either AC or DC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭victor8600

Also if it is some non-standard charger, check polarity.

Advertisement