Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Block gap at base of plasterboard

• 09-09-2022 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭

I gutted an old bathroom upstairs in our dormer. I’ve now decided to wait with its renovation until I get the ceiling upstairs insulated to standard. Might be next year before this is possible. Would duct tape be effective at closing the gaps along the floor as seen in picture?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

No, do it once and do it properly with good quality air tightness tape. Then when you get around to finishing the room, the airtightness work is already done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

I would use some expanding foam to fill most of the void (if possible), then air tightness tape.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭BarraOG

Or maybe apply the tape first from within the room and then apply the foam from behind by entering crawl space?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭Deagol

I'd be extremely hesitant to use expanding foam. Was talking to a builder friend recently enough about using it for something similar and he said it's unknown the amount of small jobs he gets fixing damage to plasterboard walls from people using expanding foam. It has enough power apparently to push out the board and crack / bow the surface.

His advise was if you must use it, use much less than you think you'll need and add a little more if needed after the first squirt has set.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I think the low expansion foams applied with a high quality gun are fine, very controllable and not much "push".

Not sure if this is quite the product I used, but it was one marked with a load of certifications for air tightness and application to window fitting.

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/soudal-soudafoam-expanding-foam-gun-grade-750ml/5026d

• Advertisement
Advertisement