Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to move to?

Options
  • 09-09-2022 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭

Hi all, hopefully some people can provide some insights into places to move to? I am a 29 year old male.

For reasons I won’t delve into, I need a break from Ireland. I am thinking of emigrating somewhere within Europe hopefully, with mostly English speakers (willing to learn a language after I move). Ideally without a rental house crisis. I was thinking Germany or the Netherlands?

I work in the medical device industry and I heard those countries have a large med device industry.

I lived in Vancouver for a year and a half but found myself homesick so I would like to be closer to home and family. Europe sounds ideal for that.

thanks for the inputs!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭agoodusername

Can't speak for Germany, but the housing situation in the Netherlands isn't great either. Very low supply of apartments but typically a higher standard than I've seen in Ireland.

The great thing about the Netherlands is that within North and South Holland, there are 6.5 million people in an area the size of County Cork, with good rail links. It gives you a much larger range of cities and towns to look at for commuting. Jobs seem to be available to anyone with serious experience, you almost might be better off finding housing first and a job second.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭keithb93

The housing situation is terrible here as it is but I’d rather live somewhere different if I’m going to be paying huge amount on rent. I wouldn’t mind house sharing either if I have to. Would it be manageable to move there without any Dutch? I understand most people there speak English anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭agoodusername

Most people here speak English yes, and a lot of Dutch words look like English too which helps. Needing the language for a job is another question, you'd be best off looking at job ads, as it very much depends on your particular niche. In general though, you would survive without Dutch for basically everything here as long as you aren't in a very rural, isolated area.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Take a look at Scandinavia , The standard of living in Norway is very high and renting a room is cheaper than Dublin. the cost of living is high too but low paid jobs pay a lot more and very high paid jobs pay a lot less.

Everyone speaks english but it is handy to learn Norwegian once you are here.

I read a lot about The Netherlands or "The Swamp" as they call it in the expat groups and it has really turned me off.

Advertisement