Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Peripheral [Amazon Prime]

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The first of many to come; the article even mentions there's another unnamed show circling the drain of its season 2 being rescinded. Was always a risk for shows who didn't exactly kick the doors down, that they'd get culled as the Strikes went on.

A.shame, a very flawed show but not one without value and had plenty of runway to fix its own problems. Must be dispiriting for those who had been gearing up for another go.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,058 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Awe no. That's such a pity. It was such a great show. I really would have loved to see where they could have went with it.

Stupid strikes. I know they are looking for better pay and conditions but surely they could have done it in such a way that people would not lose there jobs too. Now all the people working on this show from the Actors to the camera men, CGI artists, lighting technicians, electricians, carpenters etc on this show and many others will lose there jobs because of it.

Hardly smart.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

That solves a quandary for me; wanted to read the books, but not sure whether to wait for the series to finish first before reading them - like I had done with The Expanse. Forces my hand. Regardless, I was looking forward to watching more of this clever sci-fi stuff though.

There's enough closure at season end to recommend sci-fi lovers to watch it - that might be put off from investing in it - even though there will be no more after this (at least not planned atm).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Strikes don't work if you don't stop working. That's kinda the point with an industry thst actively tries to avoid paying people its due. The point of the strikes is steaming is eroding liveable wages in the first place; royalty payments don't apply and people's livelihoods are already in trouble - hence the collective action. It sucks The Peripheral has been cancelled and people now lose out, but in the longer term more would be lost if the actors and writers didn't step up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,629 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Amazon Studios were under pressure to cut budgets after huge big money flops well before the strikes started so the strikes might have given them an easy out getting rid of some shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,313 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

The data was telling them what their audience wanted , they ditched the system so the creators could make what they wanted, I can see your problem right there. Amazon's CEO is bound to be p1ssed, he literally runs one of the best data driven companies in the world.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/a-league-of-their-own-canceled-as-amazon-flips-on-abbreviated-final-season-1235570207/

"Graham expressed concern about bias built into Amazon’s system for evaluating shows, which multiple sources said often ranked broad series featuring straight white male leads above all others. According to the report, Amazon took the issue seriously and dropped the system of ranking shows based on audience scores. "

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭archfi

Colossal amounts of money wasted on stupidity & the 'Current Thing' - fine example writ large right there!

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

Advertisement