Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remembering our Friend TFBubendorfer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

I was shocked and saddened to hear this new. He was always generous with his time here on boards, always very encouraging and kind. Deepest condolences to his family and friends.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭MiketheMechanic

Such sad news. I really enjoyed his posts and the support and advice he gave, especially on these forums. RIP Thomas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

Shocked by this news. When i first started running in 2010, Thomas's log and the advice that he gave on boards helped me greatly starting out on my own running journey. It was easy to see from his posts how much he loved running. He will be missed. Rest in Peace Thomas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 JStrummer

Such sad news. Loved reading about Thomas and his running career on boards over the last 12+ years. Inspirational. Thoughts with Niamh and family at this sad time. R.I.P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 dejanp

Rest in peace. Condolences to his family and friends.

Thomas and I shared few runs and races, occasional chat when we stumbled on each other in company campus. Truly humble and good hearted fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Oh no. I saw this mentioned on twitter earlier today and didn't realise it was Thomas. Have only just discovered. So sad, such a tragic loss. A really great guy who I've learnt a lot from on here.

Sincere condolences to his partner and wider family.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

So tragic. Only knew him through the forum but that was enough to know he was held in very high regard by those that knew the man himself. Sincere condolences to his family and friends.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Im one of the many people where who benefitted from his advice and wisdom that he was so generous with.

It was clear that he respected everyone out there pounding the roads , trying to get better, even slow hackers like me. We should all learn from that attitude to running and life.

Condolencies to his family and all himfriends on boards.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭mrak

Very sad news, I have laid off social media for last decade so lost touch (had to reset account to make this post!) but met him once or twice at races and remember his blog well from the early days when runireland was a thing.

Condolences to Niamh and family.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Just saw this on the Independent website. Sadly, Despite having read and reread his training log and blog many times, I never met Thomas in real life but when I was a regular poster here he was an unfailingly helpful and funny poster. He moderated with a light touch through various controversies - keeping perspective while those about him lost their’s!

condolences to his friend and family.

Just saw a headline on Dublin Live about a well known runner dying in Spain.

This is shocking news and something you don't expect to hear about someone who does

everything right, looking after their health and being a really decent person.

Really sorry to hear this, God love his poor family.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

I'm so sorry to all of you who were friends with Thomas either here or in person or both. I didn't know him but from the tributes you've posted here he was a selfless and community minded person who was happy to help others achieve their goals.

RIP @TFBubendorfer

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

I've tweeted this just now, if his family check his twitter account again at any stage they will see it with a link to this thread:

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭dermCu

It's been a very long time since I posted here. I never had the pleasure of meeting Thomas in person but online he came across as a true gentleman. I recall him being particularly generous in sharing his wisdom and knowledge with new or less experienced runners. Condolences to his family. Such a tragic loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭py

Never met him personally and only put a face to the username having read this thread. I recall seeing him chatting amongst other runners at Donadea in early 2020. A smile never left his face. You could tell from the faces of those he was engaging with that he was well liked. A big loss to the running community.

Condolences to his family and friends.

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭tubercolossus

Shocked and saddened to hear about this. I didn't know him personally, apart from on here when I was actively running and posting. He always seemed like a very decent guy, and was always more than willing to impart advice to all and sundry. Terrible for his wife and family. RIP Thomas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭jfh

i see a lot of old familiar names coming out to pay their respects, i haven't been around these parts in a while & i think it's a testament to the man to see so many. I used to follow his log here back 10 years ago when he was running in kerry, when the ART forum was in it's heyday & he gave me straight up no-nonsense advise on marathon training. RIP Thomas

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Thomas was like a fine Austrian wine - a rare thing indeed. I first came across Thomas some 14+ years ago on these pages, when searching for more information on marathon running. My first thought was 'who would create an outlandish username like TFBubendorfer? What even did it mean?'. 

Eventually, I realized that much like in life, Thomas didn't need to hide behind facades or monikers, he was open and honest to a tee. He held strong opinions, but that was only because he deserved to do so, having 'walked the walk'. In typical Dumb and Dumber style, I'd try to get a rise out of him by referring to him as an Australian, but he was far too level-headed to show any kind of annoyance and that was the kind of patience, maturity and generosity that made him such a great moderator among the testosterone-wielding keyboard warriors (like me!) that graced these forums.

Living on either sides of the country, we'd meet on occasion at races (the classics... Ballycotton, Dublin Marathon, and the occasional marathon pacing duty), but truth be told, our paths diverted as he went long, and I tried to go fast - we just didn't end up doing the same races any more. Later I was delighted to hear of him moving closer to my side of the country, settling just up the road and joining my very own club! I'd start to bump into him when out for an easy run, and finally coaxed him to come out for a trail run. Well, that was nearly the end of our friendship - 16 miles of cuts, grazes, felled trees, stream crossings, bogs, heavy rains and extreme climbs later; I'm not sure I'd convinced him of the splendour that Wicklow trails had to offer, but he matched me stride for stride all the way, and rather than complain, he gritted his teeth and had the good grace to pretend that he enjoyed it. I'm saddened to look back and see that we enjoyed that run in 2018, and our paths haven't crossed very much since, just a few thumbs up on Strava to indicate we are each still aware of each other's existence. 

I keep going back to his blog and clicking Refresh, but it just won't move past Friday August 19, 2022. It's a wonderful last post, which speaks of the struggles we have as runners, straddling the fine line of injury and progress, optimism and perseverance and the joy of spending time with family. I'll keep hitting [F5] for another while, hoping the heading will change, but knowing that it won't. I could too easily regret the runs that we should have enjoyed in the intervening years as near-neighbours, but will instead take it as a final gift from Thomas - one final lesson. Celebrate your friends and family while you can, because every moment with them is a gift. We'll miss you Thomas. You were far from a Rubbish Marathon Runner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Worztron

RIP

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,220 ✭✭✭plodder

So sorry to hear this. RIP.

RIP Thomas. No longer a runner but when I was I would always look forward to your training log and also following your blog. You had a great way with words. Condolences to your family and friends especially those in the running community.

Stay safe out there guys especially as we move towards the dark mornings and evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭ASIMON0V

RIP Thomas, I actually only "knew" him through his blog; our paths never crossed - I think I would have been star-struck if they did. He leaves a great legacy of having inspired many people, only some of whom he met in real life. Condolences to his wife, kids and wider family and friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Very sad to see this - he was a constant presence on this forum in its heyday and a group source of knowledge. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

I saw an article from a running magazine in Canada where world champion ultra runner Camille Herron said she will dedicate her next race to Thomas:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Certainly a username that stood out! I didn't know him at all IRL but recognised the name from this forum. I recall seeing him posting regularly and quite often helping out in the Random Running Q's thread.

May he rest peacefully and condolences to his family and friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

It's been almost a week since I heard the news and I'm still thinking about Thomas. He was an absolute gentleman, always helpful to anyone who needed encouragement, both in real life and online. An honour to have shared the roads and chat with him on the few occasions I had the pleasure.

News hits fairly close to home as well as I was hit by a car myself while running in Rome earlier this year, I appreciate now just how lucky I am to have survived. Terrible shame that Thomas wasn't as fortunate, I'll be thinking of him as I start running again post injury.

If Niamh or his family ever read this, please know that although Thomas has been taken too soon, his positive legacy will live on in his words posted on his blog, forums and social media, and in the memories of everyone he has met.

RIP a chara.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

From rip.ie:

Reposing at Colliers Funeral Home, Old Connaught Avenue, Bray, on Thursday evening (September 22) from 7.00pm to 8.00pm. A Funeral Service to celebrate Thomas’ full and active life will be held in the Funeral Home on Friday (September 23) at 11.30am. Cremation private. The service may also be viewed online by clicking HERE. Family flowers only please. Donations, if desired, to Laura Lynn Foundation.

Advertisement