Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remembering our Friend TFBubendorfer

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Some of the comments posted up here will be added to Thomas' memories ceremony and read out by one of his running friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Very sorry to hear of Thomas's passing. I didn't know him personally but even though I'm the furthest thing possible from a marathon runner I read his blog religiously for years, enjoying his rather sardonic take on all things running. Sincere condolences to his family and friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Amadeus 2014

I really don't have words for this.

Back in the day on a board like this one - especially in it's prime when Thomas started posting - there was a lot of noise and a lot of people. Most came and went, the majority were pretty forgettable. But a few stood out. Most for the wrong reasons. A rare few for the right ones. For their sense, their humility and their willingness to help others. Thomas was one of the latter and a whole lot more. He will be sadly missed by all who crossed his path and were left improved by the experience

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

I'm not on here much these days but when I was Thomas's posts were always worth reading. A name I always looked out for. Condolences to his family.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Condolances to Thomas's family and Friends. He always came across as very down to earth person despite his impressive running achievements . May he Rest in Peace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Oh, that's terrible. I ran with him in phoenix park a couple of times back in the days of the regular boards runs. A really nice fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

Cork runner Grellan McGrath is going to run the 2022 Dublin City Marathon in his memory and is raising funds for LauraLynn Ireland's Children's Hospice.

https://corkrunning.blogspot.com/2022/10/guest-post-fundraising-in-memory-of.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

Only heard this sad news today.

Myself and Thomas had a some things in common - same age, both Thomas, both married to a Niamh, both exiled in west Munster that we remarked upon on our occasional meetings.

Our meetings were confined to race starts as, well - while he challenged for honours, I settled into the pack. But I did get the odd mention from him on his award-winning blog - a blog that in recent years had dwindled in frequency but not in quality. I was so looking forward to his Dublin marathon assault this year as his body wasn't at all times co-operating with his head. But tragically he will not get to realise that.

I'm sure that it is of little consolation to his family that he was tragically taken from them doing what he loved.

RIP TFB

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭slowsteady

Long time away from here but logged on the see how the marathon was going today.

Terrible news as I had spent many a break from the toil (at times) of running to read how it should be done. Thomas always managed to express in eloquent words the joys, trial and tribulations of running and of the environment around west Kerry in which he spent many years.

Condolences to his family and may he rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Jesus, I’m so sorry to hear this. Absolutely tragic. Hope you are well @RacoonQueen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

• I'm not surprised there is an investigation into this. I only knew TFBubendorfer from reading his posts on boards but even I thought he was the type who would be 'very careful' while running in a city. Hopefully Niamh gets the answers she needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

There was a nice tribute to Thomas at the Donedea 50k on Sat, the name of his blog is on the back of all the t-shirts & his son did part of the pacing for one of the groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

that is truly heart breaking to read.

i hope the family finds some comfort from the messages of those who knew him

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Just a reminder, the above memorial for Thomas takes place next Sunday. Donation link can be found on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/102353996509605/permalink/6435608506517424/

How quickly that year passed. 😔

Advertisement