Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Painting wall panelling and architrave.

• 10-09-2022 10:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Installing some wall panelling and pre finished units. Not cheap and putting stone tops on the units so we are going to try paint ourselves.

Its water resistant mdf and white deal beading.

Questions

1) what filler should be use for cracks where timber meets timber 2) nail/screw holes?

Pollyfill or caulk? Or both?

2) what type of paint is needed?

Painting some of it white in hallways and planing a lime green for feature wall.

3) Any advice on preparing? Or order of works? Is the a need for under coat? When to sand etc?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭stiofan85

Looks lovely, a good paint job will make it amazing.

Caulk the gaps where the panels meet. Anything that runs in a straight line you'll need caulk. I use regular wall filler for nail and screw holes.

For paint I've found Johnstone's aqua guard a brilliant water based paint. Their undercoat works very well too. Some people only prime and then top coat. I find dulux water based undercoat and primer in one really good for MDF. The MDF ends will be fuzzy after paint so I tend to prime them first, sand them back smooth and then sand again. I add something called oetrawl (I think that's how you spell it). It makes the paint workable for longer.

Do not over work the paint - you'll leave marks. Better to do a another coat than try to get it immaculate on the first go. You literally put it on, "lay it off"' and leave it. Two/three strokes and that's it (assuming you haven't lashed on a load of paint). There's a guy on YouTube called "the funny carpenter" - short but helpful videos on all you're asking.

Rubbish materials = rubbish finish. If you cheap out on anything, paint, sanding paper, paint brushes, rollers - it shows through.

Personally, if you're asking these questions though I think you're better paying someone. Painting and getting a good finish takes practice. Painters make it look easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 redmug

I'm a DIYer so not an expert, if I was tackling this job I would:

• Fill nail holes with wood filler and sand. (Ronseal Multipurpose Wood Filler)
    • Caulk all joints between timber and Caulk all edges for where the beading meets the mdf. Don't overdo the caulk, a very thin bead should be adequate on the long edges (Geocel Painters Mate Flexible Acrylic Filler)
    • Prime everything with Zinsser BIN primer (1 coat should be fine)
    • Paint with Dulux Trade Quick Dry Satinwood (2 coats)

I would use a foam roller as much as possible when painting - should leave a great finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jumbone

Off topic but ditch the socket covers

https://tots-town.co.uk/plug-socket-covers/

• Registered Users Posts: 1 shreejiwoodcraft

Eliziio, a premium woodcraft range from the house of Shreeji, presents and exquisitely crafted array of Prefinished Interlocking Wooden Panels. Ready to use and extremely easy to install and maintain, these panels are about to re-modernize our living spaces with an allure unseen anywhere before. For Project Enquiries, you can connect with us on Email ID: info@shreejiwoodcraft.com or on Call/WhatsApp on +918657547119 or Visit www.shreejiwoodcraft.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

I used the water based stuff on part of the house ,didnt find it great scrapes off after and poor coverage

Used bloxx-it then elsewhere seems way better stuff

• Advertisement
Advertisement