Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Little Mermaid - Live Action

Options

Comments

I guess as long as these remake live actions keep making money Disney will continue to spit them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I'm excited for this!Halle Bailey has an amazing voice.

I'd love to see a live action Hercules though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

I know not every director is as crazy as James Cameron but it definitely doesn't look like they shot underwater, like he did for the new Avatar. I'm sure the movie will be fine but the shot with Halle singing looks so flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

The lack of creativity in these remakes is just staggering and it's such a shame because no doubt these crews and casts are capable of so much more than facsimiles of the animated films.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

They're worse than mere facsimiles - a lot of them zap the material of all the vibrancy of the animated art. The Little Mermaid is a lively, colourful film and our first look at this remake is shadowy and underlit. While it's only a glimpse for now and of one of the more muted scenes in the original film, it could well fall into the trap of The Lion King of favouring a sort of uncanny & bland photorealism over the colourful and expressive stylings of the original. The shots of the ocean environments don't instill confidence.

But yes a lot of talented people are involved in these efforts too. That's set to continue, from Rachael Zegler as Snow White to Barry Jenkins (!) directing the Lion King prequel. It's a shame the output has been so thoroughly uninspiring so far, but they are projects that come from a fundamentally cynical place.

• Advertisement

This tweet is meant to be positive, but it shows IMO how much is lost in abandoning the freedom of animation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Disney keep churning these out. All just content to fill Disney+ at this stage. They will run out of classics soon at this rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Yep it's losing so much but also I'd love to see how a director would choose to shoot and choreograph it if they had more creative control.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

They churn them out cos they have made an obscene amount of money each time. I think Dumbo wasn't a hit IIRC but Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, and Aladdin made more than a billion each

They're utterly redundant, and creatively bankrupt, totally inert creatures but unfortunately they make lots and lots of cash.

This looks no exception. It's Disney Little Mermaid, with none of the vibrancy and fluidity of animation. It looks like crap. It'll make a billion dollars.

I wonder when Bambi will be next up on the chopping block.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,697 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Next year

Beer recently made her directorial debut with the prequel to Pet Sematary for Paramount, which Lorenzo Di Bonaventura produced. The film is in post-production and is set to be released this year. Prior to making her jump to the directing chair, Beer has been one of the most sought-after writers in Hollywood, having recently working on the new Star Trek film for Paramount and Bad Robot. She also recently turned a draft for a remake of Bambi for Disney, 

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The only solace to take is there is a finite amount of these. They’ve already gone through the vast majority of the classic Disney films, and will need to start looking at some of the less beloved films if they want to continue… straight into diminishing returns territory.

On the lack of vibrancy point, it’s instructive to watch I Just Can’t Wait To Be King in its two versions. The animated one embraces abstract colours and movement to the point of it even existing in an entirely different colour plain to the rest of the film. In the remake version it’s just uncanny valley lions walking among a bunch of animals. I genuinely can’t comprehend how anyone could like let alone prefer the latter.

The original…

And the remake…

• Registered Users Posts: 60,697 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Coming soon.

“Peter Rabbit” director Will Gluck and “Onward” writer Keith Bunin are set to pen the script, with Gluck also producing via his Olive Bridge Entertainment banner.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Haha guys, you're just toying with @SuperBowserWorld now lol 🤣

I mean, they're not remaking Treasure Planet, right?

You know what's really depressing about the Favreau flick? Give it a couple of generations and those movies, the CGI I mean, will be the only way we can see those animals cos they'll be extinct in the real world.

You say that but they just announced a prequel to that Lion King abomination and I think they're planning an Aladdin sequel. If their remakes are big enough they'll spin them off.

Live action mixed with CGI/Animation + a by the numbers director + strict schedule + kids movie + cultural minefield = soulless forgettable crap.

Uncanny valley hell.

Disney was here before with Bedknobs and Broomsticks 🤣🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Not that I give a toss as Disney wouldn't be my cup of tea, but it seems they are just remaking everything so they can have black actors/leads in the movies and nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

They're not being dumb enough especially on this movie to do a Mulan and take the songs out but I can see a lot of dumb choices being made.

Watched Pinocchio live action last week on Disney+. They changed some things including the ending to be more PC so lets see what they do with this movie with the amount of bitching it's gotten in recent years.

No more Chinese money either in any case

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,131 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Now I'm curious. Don't tell me instead of wanting to be a real boy, he was given a choice of how he would identify.

As for this, seeing the image of her and cheking photos of the actress, I was wondering are those scars above her eyes and are they Ariel's as couldn't see any on Halle's photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Space Dog

I heard an extended clip of Halle Bailey singing Part of Your World, she sounds absolutely amazing (different from Jodi Benson, who also did a wonderful job), so that's already an improvement over Emma Watson's auto-tuned singing in the BatB remake. Out of all the remakes this is the one that interests me the most. I'm sure the set piece for Under the Sea will be more colourful than the scenes used for the trailer. Of course they'll make the ending more PG and will probably alter Ariel's behavior a bit since she's not the greatest role model for girls. I'm also a bit worried about the fish and other sea creatures what they'll look like talking.

I just hope Lin-Manuel Miranda's new songs can live up to the iconic songs of the original. I loved what he did for Moana, his other works are a bit too hit and miss for me...

• Registered Users Posts: 86,700 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is this on Disney + same time as cinema release?

Well, I probably shouldn't be shocked: looks like IMDB has had to change its applied algorithm for this film, cos surprise surprise, it has received review bombing and you can probably take a wild, speculative guess as to what's the motivation behind it all. Oh hmmmmm what could it be?!

Seems like IMDB kicks in a fallback weighting mechanic in cases of suspicious ratings activity; and just checking there now yeah, sure enough the label's still there with 15,000 1/10 ratings. Looks like this has been stalling at the box-office so with luck it might cause Disney to wind back the live-action remakes for a few years ...

The irony of course is that virtually every review I've read - caveat: have not seen the film myself and have zero interest in doing so - has said Bailey (especially her singing performance) is the best thing about what is by and large a predictably bland and redundant remake.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Elenor6

I am waiting for the show to live on screens

It's absolutely tanking in China, something that is attributed to Bailey's skin colour as well. I just can't wrap my head around this, especially since something as ugly looking as the new Lion King was raking it in.

I haven't seen it yet, but I will watch it because the soundtrack is great (even some of the new songs). And from what I read this seems to be one of the better remakes. I actually didn't mind Beauty and the Beast, the only thing I truly disliked about it was Emma Watson's "singing".

• Registered Users Posts: 18,430 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

its looking like the movie wont make a profit , not doing well internationally and projected 60% drop this weekend, after that there are lots of movies coming out in the next few weeks. Their next movie up Elemental is being poorly reviewed so looks like it wont be a big film either.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

The beatings will continue until morale improves: Disney apparently threatening 50 more live action remakes; god the sooner a few of these properly flop, the better. The comment about trying to some kind of Shared Universe nonsense with the Lion King might be a good contender for the hubris being punished.

Mr. Bailey, who watched “The Little Mermaid” 18 times as it worked its way through Disney’s pipeline, has more than 50 movies in various stages of development and production, including live-action versions of “Moana,” “Hercules” and “Lilo and Stitch.” Yes, “Hocus Pocus 3” is happening. (His division makes two or three big-budget films annually for release in theaters and three modestly budgeted movies for Disney+.)

“Mufasa: The Lion King,” a photorealistic prequel directed by Barry Jenkins, the Oscar-winning “Moonlight” screenwriter, is scheduled for release in 2024. Mr. Bailey said “The Lion King” could expand into “a big, epic saga” like the “Star Wars” franchise. “There’s a lot of room to run if we can find the stories,” he said.

Advertisement