Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ring Doorbell + GDPR

13»

Comments

isnt the issue whether you have a reasonable right to privacy within the field of the ring camera?

if its capturing your coming and going *while in public* im not sure there's much to be done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

The DP talks a lot but says little. It's been a lackluster office for most of us existence. All it's saying in a very wooly way there little they can do (or willing to do) about it.

I can't comment on the OPs mental state. But technically it's been claimed the ring camera can't see anything other then the person in front of it. But that's physically impossible. Plenty of examples on the web showing it capturing quite a wide fov.

Rather than any ineffectual legal route the OP can simply use screens and foliage to block the camera fov. If you have something constantly triggering a motion sensor very likely they'll have to avoid that area.

More of a case it's hard to prove so few will take up such an issue. It's where the legislation and enforcement hasn't caught up with the tech.

You put up your own cctv and see if your movements trigger activity on others. Or less obsessively if there is a problem you'll catch it on camera when you need it.

Tbh if you have an troublesome neighbour I'm surprised the op hasn't got cctv already.

You're applying logic and reason to a person (the neighbour) where it might not apply.

It's a case of pick your battles, especially if you have a crazy neighbour.

No court is going to order this woman to remove her Ring doorbell, and if the OP tries to go after her via the DPC it is only going to poke the bear, and she is only going to deny she has any footage of them anyway.

This is one I'd leave alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Get Real

The range of view is irrelevant. It's not capturing inside the house. It's capturing anything that any random Joe public would be able to see.

Hence why I can walk down Grafton Street recording a video and film away whatever I see.

Or why dashcams can record away. They're not seeing anything that a reasonable, normal person wouldn't be able to see with their own eyes when out and about.

So from the get go, gdpr doesn't even come into it. Devil's advocate, let's say the above is wrong, and somehow gdpr does come into it, well your neighbour could claim an exemption under the following- section 41 of the Data protection Act 2018- for the purpose of preventing, detecting or prosecuting crime.

Again, that's at a push. Remember folks, GDPR was primarily brought in to prevent

A) businesses selling your name, telephone number, marketing preferences etc to other companies

B) put more stringent measures to ensure state bodies and businesses store your personal info properly. (Eg, local authority staff leaves their laptop on a train and all your data is easily enough got to, no encryption etc)

C) to place some form of control on websites on what cookies they use, the data they harvest, the reasons they do so and who they pass or sell it onto. Also to provide you with an "I consent" or decline pop up when you visit a website.

It was not brought in for:

John taking your photo on Grafton street.

Mary installing a ring doorbell

Your car reg driving by live coverage on Rte 6.1

Someone videoing a crowd chanting outside croke park and you're in the group/walk past.

It's not "irrelevant". There's just nothing legally practically nothing you can do about it. At the moment if ever.

As for the rest of it...

Post edited by Flinty997 on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Going back to the original query from the op

How do I know that I am being recorded? How do I know what the sensitivity of the doorbell is set at (our gardens are shallow so I imagine it’s easy to set off)? How do I know what subscription she has and what’s being sent to Ring for storage?

You will need to get a copy of the data the neighbour is recording of you, they might say that they aren't recording you at all at which point you have little recourse outside of raising a query with the DPC. The neighbour is under no obligation to give you access to their recordings under GDPR, you might argue that they are recording your property but that's nothing to do with GDPR.

And then if I do contact the DPC, what will they do? Do they contact directly? Do they ask Ring for the information?

They won't contact Ring, Ring in this case is the Data Processor and will only be engaged in the event of the Data Controller wanting further information.

And let’s say they do confirm that she is collecting my personal information without my consent, what can they make her do? I presume they’ll say - follow guidelines or something like that.

Exactly, they'll confirm they are following the guidelines, in the event that they are found not to be doing it they might fine the neighbour, I doubt it but they'll have the power to if they wish

Thanks all - I guess it’s the complaints process that I was wondering about.

The "complaints" process is that you raise a Subject Access Request with the Data Controller (the neighbour), in the event that you don't get a satisfactory response you can raise a query with the DPC who will ask for proof of you raising your query and may raise the query with the neighbour.

In my opinion, under GDPR the process is clear cut, you raise a Subject Access Request with the Data Controller. This will give you access to the data (if any) that they have of you. What happens after this isn't so clear cut, I would assume that ultimately the Op wants the neighbour to stop recording them, under GDPR I don't know if there's a mechanism to stop this, it could be argued that you need to give consent to have your data recorded but that would make all dashcams/doorbells almost redundant so I can't see how they would give this ruling, I would say that the neighbour could use "legitimate interest" as their reason for the recording. I have sympathies for the Op for having to deal with a difficult neighbour but I don't think GDPR is the route for handling this issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭karlitob

Thank you.

this is very helpful. I know the issue is foliage - it’s planned to go up but I’ve to lay the drive first and she’ll be recording good-o. She’s recorded every delivery driver that’s come to the house and sat outside three separate times in the pissing rain recording lads delivering sand and materials.

I don’t want to get cctv cos I just don’t I don’t like the notion of recording or recording others

I just wanted to know what the process was. We are very clear in how we engage with her (which is not) and we keep track of interactions, abuse, damage etx and link with our solicitor to keep contemporaneous acc of what happens. As I say, I just wanted to know the process so I have as much information to have as possible.

thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭useless

We had a spate of burglaries in our area a couple of years ago and the Gardai came around to us asking if we had any doorbell camera footage, so whatever about laws applying, they're not shy about asking for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

UK Information Commissioner has issued some helpful advice

• to be fair they are not recording their neighbour the doorbell camera was not likely installed just to do that, it’s like saying if you have a dash cam it’s only there for the neighbour cos they record you walking/driving past everyday

I have a nest doorbell and none of my neighbours care because we all understand even without talking about it that it’s not there to record what they’re doing, I don’t give a shite what they’re doing in fact.

My legitimate interest for my Nest is finding out who’s at my door before I bother to open it. You can’t understand how nice it is if you’re upstairs hands full and there’s a courier at the door to be able to shout at google home to tell them they can leave the package, or I’ll be there in a minute etc. even nicer when you see it’s someone you cannot be dealing with (travellers selling shite, most recently it’s driveway cleaning, charity collectors, Jehovah’s Witness types etc).

I’ve enough unwanted interaction day to day with work I don’t want it when I come home 😂

Advertisement