Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pregnant teachers/Nurses. (1) Salary protection and (2) time off with losing pay

Options
  • 11-09-2022 10:39am

Hi, Iv two questions

1. can anyone tell me can you take out salary protection while out sick on pregnancy related sick pay?.

2.My partner is out on Pregnant Related Sick Leave at the moment, she is 6 months into pregnancy's. Can any teachers or nurses on here tell us what is the best way financially to take time off so that you have the most time off without losing out on pay.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

Can’t speak for nurses but teachers can receive full pay for 3 months and half pay for 3 months on sick leave. However if it is pregnancy related the pay remains at half pay after the initial 3 months for the duration of pregnancy.

Ok thanks, i have heard teachers plan their pregnancy so that they give birth in September, maternity leave is up in may, then they are off for the summer soon after. is that they way it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

Teachers ‘plan’ their pregnancy as much as anybody can ‘plan’ a pregnancy. Life doesn’t always go to plan. However if your partner is six months pregnant at the moment she would then be due around December? 6 months maternity leave would end in June. Parents leave can be availed of to bring her to summer holidays if in primary school. Pay would resume as normal in July. There are other options like unpaid leave or parental leave for the following September if she wishes to stay with baby longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Teachers get the exact same maternity leave as any other woman in the country. 6 months. If you count from the start of September for the start of maternity leave, that would bring up to the end of of February. If a teacher wants to take more leave after that, they can use some of their parents leave, or unpaid maternity leave.

Thank you all. Can anyone now help me with Income protection. My partner is not a teacher, she works in a hospital.

Can she take out an income protection policy while out sick.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 14,071 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

She can't take it out while out sick as far as I know, as it would then be a "pre-existing condition". Your best bet is to Google a few providers/brokers and ring them to ask. Policies will differ.

Advertisement