Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help: leaking boiler

• 11-09-2022 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭

We have a boiler that's leaking from underneath in our kitchen. It's an Intergas Rapid 25 model. It's Dripping from a small black circular part what looks like foam? Any advice or possible solutions or easy fix before I call a plumber!?

I'd normally just ring a plumber and let landlord take care of it but long story short landlord and his cowboy builder he insists does all handiwork are worse that useless. I'd rather pay for it out of my own pocket but but before I do that, any solution?

Pics below and circle shows the part thats dripping it looks like a filter or a foam piece!!

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭zg3409

You can't go messing with gas boilers yourself, so I suggest ringing an rgi repair person. Try find someone experienced with rapid 25. It's likely a leak somewhere that is dripping down and exiting the hole. There is electricity, water and gas, none of which mix well so I suggest turning off the power/timer to the boiler in case you short some of the boiler controls due to wet on parts. The actual callout and fix could be $$$ as the plumber might need to identify boiler part that needs to be replaced, order it and return to fit it.

You could try ringing intergas UK and getting an approved installer/service engineer in Ireland and they might be able to diagnose and fix on the spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

Thanks for the help and advice! Should I ring Intergas in UK directly or would a local plumber/appliance person be able to fix

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,292 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Not telling you what to do, but I expect that you would be on shaky ground by bypassing the house owner on something like that. You never know what sort of damage that you might end up being responsible for.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

I won't get into it too much but the landlord is useless to deal with. We live in a house full of mold. That'll give you an idea. I'll go with the plumber option and pay out of pocket.

Post edited by Nodferatu on

• Registered Users Posts: 1 StevenKwok

Hello, I have the same issue on my Rapid 25 boiler. Would you advise how was it been fixed finally? Repair by engineer? Or needed to be totally replaced?

• Advertisement

It was never fixed. Still leaks every so often have to leave the jug there. Landlord was supposed to sort it but once again nothing done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭youtheman

How long has it been installed?. I presume that is a condensing boiler. If you look at the white pipe on the left hand side, I think this is the condensate drain, which should be piped to a drain. You're is just 'capped'. If you don't drain the condensate it will just build up in the lowest point of the boiler housing, and leak through whatever hole if finds. So that is the first thing I would be looking at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭youtheman

Disregard my last message. Just looked up the manual here https://www.intergasheating.co.uk/app/uploads/2018/04/Installation-manual-Intergas-Rapid-88923805.pdf . The condensate drain is the black pipe just behind the white plastic fitting (which is a 'syphon cup'). I would just look where that black pipe goes and just check that is is not blocked. That is the 'low hanging fruit', i.e. the first check you should do.

Advertisement