Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

circulation pump almost constantly on

Options
  • 12-09-2022 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

I got a heat pump installed earlier in the year. Almost instantly after the installation our main circulation pump increased usage and is now at a stage that it runs and stops for about 10 seconds and then runs again constantly which is not normal especially if no water is been used. No taps on and its running away. Almost like i have a leak but I dont.

Pic attached of the pump. Any guidance would be great ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,490 ✭✭✭John.G

Was this pump installed and in use before the heat Pump installation?

Was there a new HW cylinder installed with the Heat Pump and is the heat Pump circulating HW in a coil to heat it?

Is the Main Pump taking hot water from this HW cylinder?

Is the HW cylinder vented, ie fed from a cold water storage tank (CWST) somewhere above it?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Sometimes those pumps need those flexible pipes to be more or less vertical. Do you remember it their orientation was changed? In any case it seems to be a problem with the pump and will most likely require a plumber.

Problem is that some plumbers will want to change it rather than try a repair that might result in call backs.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,490 ✭✭✭John.G

This pump seems to be negative head as it has a pressure vessel mounted on top, if these are not pre charged to I think, 0.9bar for a 2.0bar pump, then they will continually stop/start, the pressure vessel must have no pressure whatsoever at the water end and the air end is then pumped up to 0.9bar. However this pump apparently is running continuously which is unusual even if the pressure vessel diaphragm is split and its full of water. There also appears to be a connecting pipe between the inlet and outlet at least on one side but cannot see the other, if this is a automatic by pass then maybe leaking?. Pump make & model will tell something.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭alan kelly

Hey folks, Really appreciate the comments. Pic attached of the serial of the pump.

Image from the pump, Pup was in before the Heat Pump install, new tank installed with the HP while HP obviously has its own pump. This only feeds toilets , sinks and baths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭blackbox

It looks to me that the pump in the photos is to pressurise your water system, especially your shower.

The circulation pump is usually for your heating system and would not be a "twin".

Those shower pumps are designed to start when they detect a flow. If yours is detecting a flow it is probably due to air in your pipes. You may be able to clear it by turning on all your taps together for a couple of minutes, but it might require the pipework to be rearranged.

Much appreciated, I will take a look this evening.

Advertisement