Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone use Studio One 4 Professional?

Options
  • 13-09-2022 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

or even the newer version of it? I got it mainly for recording vocals etc.. but I've decided that I would like to get into producing beats as I do have a bit of past experience, what would be good equipment to go with this DAW for production?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,140 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Quite a bit late but I've used it since v4, now starting on 6. I'm barely even a weekend warrior and only go back to it every few months or sometimes years :( . That said it's a great DAW imho, I used Cakewalk from it's original V3 up to Sonar's last iterations before they went under when I was more serious about composing and then moved to S1 when they folded. I've gone from 'I wish my DAW could do xxx' to 'I need to find out how S1 already does it'. I very rarely use vocals and even then more as highly processed background so I don't have real experience there beyond using Izotope RX for some cleanup and Nectar for effects.

For equipment I use a Nektar Impact LX88+ for midi input, an RME DigiFace USB (to a hifi dac) for output for primary listening, a set of Presonus 3.5 monitors for mix checking (I mix primarily on headphones and will also switch on different WavesNX headphone studios to keep getting too binaural focused, the monitors are really just my last check for phase etc.). I've just ordered a Presonus iostation 24c to replace the audio interface and add a compatible control surface/proper mic input.

As for the host specs from v5 up they added Plugin Nap which can massively increase your system performance so it's more forgiving on the CPU side. It does multitask pretty well natively and there are good guides on how allocation between cores works vs. busses and other aggregating factors so if you do run into issues you can potentially change some of your track routing to more fairly distribute.

All in all I'm really happy with it. It's relatively simple to use once you know the DAW basics, very efficient has as much depth as I've ever needed. Also their Youtube channel is great, and if you go with the Sphere subscription you also get access to a lot of more advanced tutorials, mix reviews etc. alongside all of their products.

Advertisement