Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FS: 60cm Genesis Volare 931 Road Bike with DA9100 and Carbon Hunt Wheels

Options
  • 13-09-2022 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭

I built this up as my “last road bike” or “bike for life”, which I was nearly sure it would be……right up until I racked up 400km on a pinarello Paris ultegra over the weekend, and now I can’t stop thinking about a carbon disc endurance bike as a year round bike to do it all.

This is a relatively difficult one to price as it will appeal to a fairly niche market, but I’m not in a major rush to move it on.

I bought the frameset in mid 2020 for £1900 gbp after waiting for too long for the disc version to be back in stock, I think it’s a 2019 frame, they don’t make rim brake ones anymore. I rode it with a mixed groupset til stock replenished earlier this year, when I fitted a brand new dura ace 9100 groupset at a cost of €1600. Hunt wheels were added in mid 2021 and were stored in the attic through winter, with a new pair of tan wall gp5000 added this spring. It has a pro aluminium seatpost and handlebar, cheapie 120mm stem (but 110mm aluminium pro one will be included), a fabric saddle, and fancy stainless steel bottle cages from condor. Overall the bike is immaculate, has never been crashed or dropped, but does have minor signs of being ridden.

It would cost roughly €5000 to build today (if the frameset was still available). Frameset has probably done about 7000km, groupset about 1000km and wheels about 1500km. I’m going to put an asking price of €3500 on it with some room for movement.

I’m based in Sligo and would need to be collection only.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

That is a thing of beauty. A smidgen smaller and I'd be in Sligo already.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭comete

Thanks Cram! Geometry numbers below for anyone that’s interested, I’m 186cm:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Alanbt

Such a nice bike. I remember drooling over it when spotted it on LFGSS couple years ago. Too big for me, but this is exactly the kind of thing I have in mind for a modern steel dream build.

GLWS

It looked better on cosmic ultimates but I was afraid to ride around on tubs

Maybe asking price is a bit strong for a large rim brake bike, reduced to €2950 firm.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,552 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's a very niche market for you, unfortunately. way too big for me, so an easy out for my wallet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭fat bloke

It's bizarre isn't it. Queues of lads happy to wait for delivery of 9 kilos worth of take-it-or-leave-it-buddy 105 disc something or other and sh1tty wheels when you can buy the likes of the above for less.

It's too big for me anyway as well, but you might be better off splitting, you should sell the wheels and groupset handily and personally I'd have no issue with salting (not literally) a frame like that away in an attic for another build another day. Will always be a wonderful bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

You're right there. I've been trying to sell a top quality pro level rim brake bike for months on adverts -

Pristine Ultegra groupset. Would have retailed at 3k back in the day when 3k bought a lot of bike. Absolutely zero interest. I'm thinking of withdrawing it and putting it back in at €1950 to attract a more serious type of buyer.

Ara yeah it was just a notion I took to chop in both my road bikes and get said chunky disc braked endurance machine with mudguard mounts as a one bike to do it all, seeing as I’ve no intention to road race in the short term. That was only going to be viable if this went for current asking price, but with the amount I might end up losing on it I could afford to run it through the next few winters and replace dura ace bits! I’ll give it til the end of the month and if it’s a no-go I’ll remove the ads!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

It's all relative, it's "pro level" but is also got close to a decades worth of use under it and you've drilled holes in it which everyone can see but you don't mention in the advert. I think if you were up front about that, and why, you might have more takers.

I also think anything with an integrated seatpost is harder to sell whether it's been cut or not. I sold my guerciotti frame (also one time pro level) quick enough because I was completely upfront about the issues it had. A boardsie bought it and I hope they got it running again as it hurt me to part with it.

The genesis is just an uncommon size for most. There's a few genesis fans on here, myself included. I've a Volare that's actually marginally too small but I like it too much.

If it was a 56 I think this would be gone quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

This won't make pleasant reading but yours is not even remotely in the same realms as OPs bike though. Some folks version of pristine is not the same as anothers. You mention ultegra groupset then I see a campag centaur crankset. 🤷‍♂️

Also that phrase pro level frame grates on me, it seems every other frame is pro level. Frames have come a long way in 10 years and to be honest that's not a very pretty frame which as mentioned above has been drilled out for di2. The earlier carbon frames were thick tubed and looked a bit moulded plastic.

The Principia broken into parts would probably be

€200 ultegra 6700/campag mix / €100 wheels incl cassette / €50 bars&stem

I'd have no issue drilling my own frame but as it's anothers work the frame is worthless in my eyes. If you advertised if for what it is you might get someone seeing a bargain carbon frame for €300

Just my thoughts.

OP that is a stunning build but it's the size that's killing you and also a niche market these days as it's all aero or gravel bikes at the minute.

Also everyone seems to want integrated or electronic everything these days so recoil at the sight of cables let alone externally routed on the down tube.

This is the kind of thing you're up against @ €3500 also I'd say even if yours was a 54/56 and €2k you would still get tyre kickers.

I didn't add a link to the ad as not to ruin your sale but it's a canyon aeroad cf slx9 DA di2.

Yeah I totally agree with everything in your post, and link away if it means someone will get a good deal. Don’t get me wrong I see the place for aero integrated bikes and am aware they’re the flavour of the month, but they’re not my jam, hence the niche left field high end steel build. I’ve raced the genesis in the Sligo league, and a few tri’s (boo), and am always up in the top 10% of TT times. I don’t think an aero frame would make a major difference at my level.

Thinking about blokes point on splitting makes me realise even the €2950 asking is a bit punchy. What’s a used rim brake da groupset worth (low mileage or not, it’s still used), €800? Used Carbon hunt wheels, €600-800? Frame, who knows, €1k? Finishing kit is nothing special so not worth talking about. That’s €2,600 at the high end. Putting it in writing makes me realise it’s not worth selling if I’ll lose €2,500 on it, which is the stark reality of used bikes.

Happy for moderators to leave this thread open as a discussion point if there’s value in it, otherwise feel free to lock it up and I’ll hang onto the bike!

The irony of the majority of folks buying aero bikes is that they're the least aero thing about their whole set up.

Your bike and similar like it are timeless and such a clean build. The reason I have so many bikes is typically they're not worth selling as it would be a loss and were a joy to build. We did have a brief spell (thanks covid) where you could turn a penny and everyone dragged out their new years resolution bikes that have sat for donkeys to try make a few quid.

Enjoy it and leave it as a for sale add, it only needs one person that has to have it and he'll be out there.

Your clear intimation that I'm misrepresenting the groupset is an insulting slur. The ad. states clearly that the cranks were upgraded. The Campag cranks are lighter, stiffer and considerably more expensive than Ultegra cranks. They are a clear upgrade in performance terms.

Your clear intimation that I'm misrepresenting the condition of the groupset is an insulting slur. My definition of "pristine" is the dictionary one, "in its original condition, unspoilt". Shifters and rear mechs in particular get damaged easily and even on quite new bikes can be quite tatty. Mine are from a relatively new bike that was well taken care of and are as new, unmarked, pristine (the dictionary definition, not yours).

Your clear intimation that I'm trying to flog a worthless, damaged frame is another insulting slur but at least that can be put down to lack of knowledge. It is, nonetheless, nonsense. A bike frame is made with a huge level of redundancy. The idea that a 4mm hole in a relatively massive tube is "damage" is akin to saying that drilling a hole in the wall of a house to fit an outside tap has destroyed the house. When Di2 was first introduced most frame manufacturers just provided extra holes, a set of bungs and called them "Di2 compatible".

The term "pro level" is the one used by BikeRadar in their glowing review of the bike. I take it to mean that the bike is of sufficient quality in terms of weight, stiffness, components to perform at the very highest level. They do not give many bikes a perfect score of 5/5 and refer to them as "one of the best test bikes we've tried this year", "power response through the pedals is brilliant" and finally "a truly superb chassis".

Frames have not come a long way in 10 years. In fact, probably the opposite as they tend to be heavier, less stiff, less aggressive in general. The Danes went to great lengths to ensure the power through the pedals was used to turn the back wheel not flex the frame. Hence the massive bottom bracket area and huge downtube. You may not find it "pretty" but it's there for a reason. I remember seeing Sean Kelly (who used these very bikes) at Sportives. People would bring their fancy road bikes up to him and he'd put his foot on the bottom bracket, press down, and say "aah, a bit mushy there". He wouldn't say that about the Principia. He'd probably just hurt his foot.

What really sickens me about your negative comments is that some young lad, hoping to join a club and get into racing, will think "aah looks a bit dodgy, maybe I'd better get that aluminium Trek with 105 and Bontrager wheels" and then wonder why he can't get into the break or contest a bunch sprint.

That young lad might well be right.

Good luck with your sale but it is what it is and as for knowledge, well one of us clearly knows more than the other.

Definitely derailing the OP thread now. Best not take criticism on the internet too seriously, but regardless of the condition of the Pincipia frame and components (or what Sean Kelly thinks of the stiffness of the BB), the Genesis is a completely different ballpark in terms of achievable price.

Drilled carbon frameset vs Reynolds 931 - best not start the comparisons

For what it’s worth the Genesis is di2 compatible from the factory, I did not drill it myself 😆

Sorry for intruding on your thread, OP. I felt I had no option but to reply to the other poster's insinuations. That'll be the end of it. The Volare is a lovely bike. GLWS.

Actually interesting to see you reply, I sold that BMC I swore I'd never sell in the end. Now that was a pristine bike in my opinion 😉 😂

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I think its worth the asking price but I think you will struggle to get much more than €2500 because there isn't the competition there. I measured it up and it would fit me but I just don't have that cash lying around at the minute. Would you consider a trade, cash plus a child (I have a few spare around the house), I have them in multiple sizes. Handy for a kidney etc. if the biochemistry matches up.

But no, I have a new one of my own and she seems to be slowing me down and not making me faster, like a new bike would.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭cyclocross!

Lovely build. Very interested. A few bits to sell to help fund. Leave it with me.

Nearly one year later, and as part of a fleet consolidation due to changing life circumstances, I’m bumping this up.

The bike itself is largely unchanged since ad was originally posted, aside from now having a fancy hope pf41 thread together bb, and a Chris king headset. It’s even had next to no mileage put on it in that time as I spent most of the year on the TT bike preparing for IM. Strava has total mileage on frameset at 7753km, with groupset doing much less. Wheels have done more now as I had them on the TT bike but still as new.

Spec:

XL Genesis Volare 931 frameset

Dura ace 9100 mechanical groupset (172.5 52/36 cranks)

Hunt 3650 wheels with tan wall gp5000

Pro alu finishing kit (option of 110 or 120 stem)

Fabric saddle

Hope pf41 bb (proprietary tool included)

CK no threadset headset

I have new dura ace gear and brake cables, gold kmc chain, and black supacaz tape that will be fitted before sale if desired

Asking €2500 collected from Sligo as is, not open to offers. Would take €2000 excluding carbon wheels.

Damn, frame still hasn’t shrunk

I think there's more than a few of us that wishes that frame was a 54/56

Still stunning looking op. A real time less build. 👌

As painful as it would be, May be faster to realise cash if split it.

• Advertisement

Not in any mad hurry to sell and don’t really want to be left with parts hanging around.

Advertisement