Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replace Dimmer Switch

Options
  • 13-09-2022 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Looking to swap out old dimmer switch with a regular light switch. Just to check should the existing wire going to the load symbol arrow over wavey line go to the coms terminal on the new switch and wire going to L1 on old dimmer go to L1 on new switch?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭meercat

Yes perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Mrgg

Cheers @meercat all seems to work fine with new switch fitted. That arrow over wave symbol had me real confused when I first opened the old dimmer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭zg3409

Beware if you are unsure you should not be attempting these jobs. It's hard to confirm power is safely off, double check the power is really off and make sure you don't introduce lose wires or get a shock. While these DIY jobs are common, getting a zap while doing them is common too, and there is a risk with any zap your heart might stop. Often blue, brown, green and white wires are used with switches, but the blue wire is often live too. Two way switches such as top and bottom of stairs are common too are relatively complicated and hard to understand as there is two different standards to wire them. I know lots of chancers that were lucky to not get killed.

Advertisement