Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do warranties work?

• 13-09-2022 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭

I have a one year warranty on my Huawei laptop, which I have had minor issues with since purchase. These issues are getting worse and new issues have arisen recently. I feel like the laptop is on its last legs and is about to give in, which is worrying because I'm very close to the end of my 1 year warranty. If the laptop does finally break down after the warranty period lapses, will the warranty cover repairs for issues that arose during the warranty period (I think I was actually sold a product with defects present) despite the warranty period being over?

If it makes a difference, I raised tickets with Huawei customer support during the warranty period, reporting these issues.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,568 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Normally if you have raised the defect with the vendor during the warranty period, then the defect should be covered if it's a factor in a future failure within a reasonable, vendor-dependent, time-frame. The warranty won't cover new or dissimilar defects of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

Sale of goods act is relevant in Ireland as opposed to warranties (warranties are in addition to your statutory rights). SOG allows for reasonable timeframe for issues with goods (up to 6 years).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭waynescales1

My warranty is from Huawei, but the SOG act refers to retailers/suppliers/sellers. I purchased my laptop from Amazon, so were I to seek a "remedy", I would do so from Amazon, not Huawei?

Post edited by waynescales1 on

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭DontHitTheDitch

You won't get anywhere with eBay I think, they will cover most items for a very limited time and only based on whether it matches the description or whether it arrives damaged/non-functional. You are using eBay to buy from the seller, eBay hasn't sold it to you. It now depends on whether the seller is actually based in the EU, if not you are left hoping the manufacturer will honour the warranty. If the item was manufactured for the US, Asian, Australian markets etc. then they may not cover items that were purchased for use in the EU. Some manufacturers won't repair grey market items even if you offer to pay for them to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Hmm.... the only company in Ireland who are licensed by Huawei to carry out warranty covered repairs are Fonfix. Maybe the best thing to do is book it in with them immediately, before the warranty expires.

Edit: I bought from Amazon, not eBay. Jesus...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

Well the Amazon thing does make it more complex. Was it Amazon.UK or .DE, one them is still in the EU which has a 2 year directive if I'm correct. Guess which one :) Unfortunately the Amazon thing does move it from the SOG as that's Ireland only.

Advertisement