Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

My reaction when this little jingle kicks in is positively Pavlovian at this stage:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Check the walls in areas such as the stables. There's posters with recipes on the walls.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Yeah seen those, I just hate the cooking mechanic/gimmick.

Now that I can effectivly autobuild meals it's a little better...

Better again would be if you could 'press A to read poster' and it stores the recipe (like some of the construction blueprints) , or when it's mentioned in conversation you remember it.

I just find it's too much hassle messing with the cooking, and while I could go and Google the best recipes and just do them, it kinda defeats the purpose of it to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,084 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Being able to view the ingredients of given meals/elixirs is good as well.

Do things like fairies get renewed at a blood moon as well or do they work a different schedule? Like if find somewhere that has a few, being able to go back would be useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Is that good or bad ?

The jingles are meant to get your dopamine going. 😁 it's video games 101.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Five Lynel Gauntlet in the depths is fun.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Oh I know all that but it's quite something to play a game this polished on that front. So many games are glorified Skinner Boxes, it's nice to be manipulated in a friendlier fashion.

Somes of shrines are a beautiful unique mental workout.

The puzzle where you pull items under water to force them out with enough force based on the amount of water they displace and their shape of entry into the water is genius. Who hasn't done this as a child in the bath 😁😁😁

• Registered Users Posts: 4,824 ✭✭✭jj880

Jesus. Must stock up on arrows and find that. Are the rewards worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

You mean who hasn't gotten their face smashed by doing the same thing to a football in the sea.

Or maybe that was just me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I tried that Lynel gauntlet, got through one fight and decided ‘I’ll come back here when I have some end game weapons’ 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

There's a really special prize in the chest, a collector's item.

The price in terms of playing the game is the fuse materials you get out of it. The fifth one is an absolute blast.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Fire Temple down and think I'm done with the Eldin region now. Two sages finished. Might take a little break but I keep saying that and not taking a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

In case you're like me and never payed a blind bit of notice to the overall Zelda "lore", this video might be of interest. Gives a bit of context to the overall storyline and then a summary of BotW (so spoilers for it) and how it feeds into TotK (no spoilers for it). Now I know what I'm fighting for!

Was thinking if people like the shrine puzzles ... Captain Toad Treasure Tracker is a brilliant mix of condensed fun puzzles and it's one of the cheaper first party Nintendo games.

Getting a home office installed and as soon as I saw these parts stacked up, I thought ... what I wouldn't give for an Ultrahand lol

• Registered Users Posts: 18,132 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

It's ascend for me pretty much everywhere I go now just looking upwards in every place I go looking for that little green shimmer.

Still haven't figured out how to do the item duplicate trick am still on original firmware still missing recall ability too struggling down in the depths to get around am going to buy an anti glare screen protector as I just can't seem to focus on the distance on the screen sometimes.

Odd amiibo update loads of the link ones spawn Epona I now have 4 Epona in my stable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Im falling off islands in the sky. My brand new joycon is drifting like a motherfucker and the right one is panning me around all the time.

Is TOTK ... too much stuff ... ?

Edit ...

For me ... No. I'm happy to dip into this for a long time. It feels like BOTW + a load of optional but excellent extras. 😁

Post edited by SuperBowserWorld on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Not the most convincing argument given BotW and TotK are fundamentally the same experience, and much of its expanded offering is optional like its predecessor.

Depends how far you take it. Dont think I'll be getting all the korok seeds, levelling up all my armour or filling the compendium. I will do every quest, shrine and lightroot plus after that look at the heros path to make sure I haven't missed any spots on the map. Dont think I'll ever get tired of that. Plus theres just messing around. Saw a video of a guy shooting a hinox in the eye while gliding down near its face. It sat up and launched him across the map. He ate a stamina potion and glided at high speed for ages then transitioned into a shield surf and shot some goats as he surfed down a mountain. Its was glorious.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I genuinely believe the sheer volume of Korok seeds is a (pretty funny and elaborate) practical joke by Nintendo. The ‘reward’ for finding them all is a strong hint in that general direction IMO. It’s a waste of the player’s time to go looking for all of them - and Nintendo will rub it in for anyone who is actually arsed to do so.

The game in general is generous enough that there’s a fulfilling, satisfying experience in there for all types of players. Almost all the ‘stuff’ is optional, which means you can easily just duck out when you feel like you’ve personally gotten what you need out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,132 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Go into the joy-con menu and calibrate them also try the settings on your switch and see if they need to be updated.

Heading towards the water temple now. The game is one joy after the next.

Yeah had the same when my controllers needed charged. Was very annoying. As already said calibrate or just move the stick full circle a few times. Fixes it for me for a while. I have 2 new sticks in a repair kit. Gona just replace them before I sell the switch. I have 2 of these though:

Very happy with them. Work well on PC also.

Nintendo are repairing joycons with no quibbles, for free now AFAIK.

True. I had the replacement sticks from before they started free repair as was going through a stick every 6/9 months. I just like having the couple extra controllers anyway. No drift on them so far and they fit my hands better. I find aiming arrows a lot easier with them also.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Cheers, going to send the left one in for a repair to see how long it takes etc. Have a spare left (also drifts 😆) but not as bad.

Then Ill send the right one in.

In the meantime Ill enjoy falling off things in TOTK when I dont mean to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

For me, TOTK is a better game than BOTW in almost every way. Yes there are lots more things to see and do which can be overwhelming but I think Nintendos lack of achievement/trophy system takes a lot of the pressure off doing * everything * in the game.

With BOTW I completed the main story, majority of side quests, the shrines and got only about 120 koroks. Never anywhere near 100%ing the game but I get plenty of entertainment out of it.

We won't be getting another Zelda for a long time so we may as well take our time with this one!

Advertisement