Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Fibre Broadband: what does installation involve?

Options
  • 13-09-2022 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭

I’ve been with Vodafone Broadband (12-15 Megs) since moving into my home four years ago. 

There’s a drooping old telephone cable going from the telegraph pole on the street, to one corner of the house. The Master Socket (and hence the modem) are in that corner room, and sometimes it can be difficult to connect devices at the other end of the house, or upstairs. 

Vodafone Fibre Broadband (500 megs) has just come to my area. I’m wondering what an upgrade involves, as in, what will the installation technician actually do? I presume that old phone line will be redundant now (we don’t have a landline). Will they place the modem where I want it (in the centre of the house, near the stairwell).

I had been intending to run an extension cable from the Master Socket to the stairwell, and placing the modem there, as it’s the most central point in the house. But will Vodafone do this for me instead as part of the upgrade?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,531 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

The fibre line generally follows the same route from the DP on the pole to the house as the copper line. From there you can discuss with the installer on the day where the ONT could be located, the rule is 1m from the entry point in the house, close to a power socket, depends on the installer you get on the day.

The master socket will be redundant once you install fibre.

Post edited by The Cush on

SIRO will come to your house via the electricity meter box. From there they will run a cable connection to wherever you want the line to come inside. On the inside there will be a small box on the wall and the router will be connected to that. Both require power. All copper telephone lines and associated master socket, lines to the house, telephone poles etc are now irrelevant unless you keep your landline.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,531 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Is it Vodafone via the SIRO network or the open-eir network?

Advertisement