Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi Adverts - Naming Competitors in Pricing

Options
  • 13-09-2022 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,747 ✭✭✭✭

This is just a question more than anything on comparative adverts

I see in Aldi’s more recent ads they’re actually naming SuperValu when doing a ‘weekly shop’ comparison

I thought this wasn’t allowed in Ireland?(going back to my college Marketing days)

i.e I thought you’re allowed say ‘€50 in Aldi and €55 in other stores’ for example but not among them

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,008 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Once the comparison is factual and can be proven it's legit. They'll have the dates and store names at the bottom of the ad in tiny print.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,747 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I’m surprised it doesn’t happen more in that case. It’s so common in the US for example but not here. I’d go as far as saying you never see it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

Obviously had a hangover the day that was covered 😂😂😂

But they do have to thread carefully and have verified and comparable examples.

Eg, You couldn't compare Quinnsworth yellow pack frozen lasagne Vs Donnybrook Fair own label fresh lasagne.

Dunnes tried similar against Aldi and Aldi took them to court and mostly won. It was very costly in legal fees.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/aldi-gets-limited-declarations-from-supreme-court-in-dunnes-row-1.3907324

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭unimaginativeusername

As others have said, it is permissible if based in fact and a comparable shop. You can't go buy champagne and caviar from Dunnes and claim the weekly shop is cheaper in Aldi!

Post edited by unimaginativeusername on

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Nothing new here at all. Dunnes did it for years with Quinnsworth in the pre-Tesco days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,747 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

That’s interesting

Thanks lads - good info to know really and it makes sense so that not as many do it since it’s threading dangerously ha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭C3PO

Being going on for years!

Dangerous more so that a competitor will then target you back. The best example is the Avis v Hertz campaign in the 60's.

Avis claimed that because they were #2 they tried harder. Made sure the ashtrays were extra clean, made sure the cars were perfectly serviced etc etc. Hertz ignored it and Avis grew market share dramatically. At one point it was expected Avis would take the #1 spot by 1968.

Then Hertz got a new marketing team in 1966 and attacked back - With "For years, Avis has been telling you Hertz is No. 1, Now we’re going to tell you why we're #1.” and went on attack after attack combined with humour. Hertz remained #1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

I've noticed when online grocery shopping on Tesco.ie, they make comparisons with Aldi (price check) but how does that work if it's a specific item only available in Tesco? Such as their own brand items for example?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭JohnC.

It's not just online. Their actual shops are full of Aldi comparisons. And I've seen Tesco comparisons in Aldi too.

As for the question, they compare their own brand product to the same product sold under Aldi's own brand. Like Tesco Jaffa Cakes would be compared to Belmont Jaffa Cakes, to pick a random example.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

What I cannot understand is why Aldi do not respond to Tesco saying they match Aldi prices (on a few items).

Aldi should be saying - 'If you want Aldi prices on ALL of your shop, then shop at Aldi'. They could then show the items where Aldi are much cheaper.

Instead Aldi are targeting Supervalue - their nearest and dearest supermarket.

Aldi are near a lot more supervalus than Tesco. Also aldi has a limited range of product as do most supervalus, so a better target as that the customer

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I think Lidl are bigger than Aldi in Ireland, but Aldi are a bigger threat to Tesco in GB than here. Tesco marketing is driven from the UK.

I also notice that if the 'Aldi Price matched' product goes up in price in Aldi, it goes up in Tesco as well, even if it is only a tiny increase. Tesco do not usually increase by a few cents - they go for between 10% to 50%, averaging about 20% - hoping people will still buy and not notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,270 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

I'm pretty sure the Aldi ads used to have their trolley filled with own brand stuff and the competitor one filled with branded goods. They seem to be doing own brand v own brand stuff these days. Must have been told off for that one?

Advertisement