Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Telephoto Lens for GAA Photos

• 14-09-2022 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭

Hi. I have been getting some work recently taking some sports pics for local newpaper, with my 80-200mm Nikon lens. I get some good shots, but the opportunities for very many of them are limited. I am thinking of upgrading to a 400/500/600mm lens so I can get deeper into the action, so to speak.

I have come across this lens: Sigma 60-600mm. Has anyone here had any experience of using this lens? Any feedback appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭ablelocks

i got to use a friends sigma 150-600mm yesterday for a match - great quality, super reach. for first time use i thought i did ok with some of my shots, but most will be deleted. I found the focus ring a bit stiff and slow, but it turns out theres a setting on it to lessen that - new lens, so neither of us had read the instructions for it. for near side play along the sideline though the 150mm was too close for some shots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

In my experience I always favoured a 70-200 f2.8 lens. You cant cover everything so where you place yourself at a match is important. I usually go to end line about 15 meters from goals. The lens was very good. If you know the teams and see action heading to one side of the pitch move a little closer. Or if there is a particular player you like position yourself where you have a better chance of getting close to them

I have a 100-400 that I use for motoerbike racing but haven't tried it at GAA much (will try it in next week or two).

I'm half thinking I'll buy my own one but will go second hand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭accensi0n

What's the best for catching punches? =D

our u16 corner back has caught a few recently...

• Advertisement
Advertisement