Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was the government right to put no limit on the amount of Ukrainian refugees in Ireland? Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭MysticMe

I'm not sure about capping the number, however, Ireland should absolutely reduce the €901 welfare payment to the average European rate (around €300) in situations where food and accommodation are provided. 

Here is just an example of what other European states are currently paying to Ukrainian refugees:

France: €204 monthly

Germany: €330 monthly

Sweden: 79 SEK daily (€223 monthly) if food is not included. Otherwise 24 SEK daily

Switzerland:  €508 per month

Austria: €260 for an adult

Ireland has it at €208 x 52/12 = €901 monthly.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 ThoseSpikesAreSore

Hi, I'm just home from being out with a few friends and my brother who is the reason I found this forum and signed my up.

It angers me more when I am seeing the people defending here I don't think that there living in the real world like the rest of us.

I just want to agree with this person that we should reduce but I want to say the figures are different then that.

The France, Switzerland and Germany figures are only for few months and then they stop. Germany and Switzerland includes rent. Sweden is reviewing and they stop payments when the refugees don't show proof what they spend. Germany and Switzerland will test people on their bank accounts and jobs at home in Ukraine too. Austria is much more different and too much for me to type now. Oiche, tabhair aire, sorry for the big message I wanted to correct it because I know the payment systems are all different.

Whatever about hotels, at least they are not displacing people out of accommodation per se but if a nursing home is closing down to rehouse Ukrainians, local people and anyone with a heart should be picketing the hell out of the place and causing a serious noise about it.

This is the total crap and scandal going on that I just do not agree with.

Ukrainians should only ever have been placed with hosts families or in tents.

Ukraine is geographically a huge country compared to Ireland. They absolutely need to go back in the medium to long term.

This whole EU directive they keep spewing about...what is that...to make the local fat cat landlord, developer, hotel owner, nursing home owner, business owner as rich as can be in the shortest of time frame.

1 in 10 Ukrainians in Ireland are now living in Donegal. I wish that 5,000 and more of the local young people who emigrated in the last 10 years because of lack of job opportunities could come back to live here. Shambolic. I include my family and friends in that!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

There are very little xenophobic or racist comments from the majority of posters. Go back and read the thread it's there for viewing. Yes there are some, just like there are some genuine refugees,

"The same drivel", but then you admit right there I'm right. 🙄 It's a minority who are xenophobic/racist, but it's a solid core.

It's really only "some" refugees who are "genuine"? Really?! So the majority aren't?

Ignoring the straight-out-of-Varadkar's-mouth "get up early and work hard" bull, jealousy and begrudgery is exactly what you've posted. Some guy (allegedly) driving a Tesla around makes you seethe. Even though you don't know their circumstances, what they've been through, what or who they've lost (hundreds of bodies found in a mass grave in Izium yesterday), whether they're staying in a hotel or staying in someone's spare room, whether they're working or not. You just assume the worst.

Call me racist because I think the government 'elected' are absolutely shafting the people who prop this country up.

Well, yeah - they are. They have been for decades now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

This is nuts. FFG have lost the run of themselves.

We need them out and more right leaning political movements to come to the fore before it's too late.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,791 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

It's depressing seeing you jump from thread to thread misinterpreting what people said to call thenm racists and xenophobics.

It's only you and another poster who seem to see all the racism in the thread.

Also strange that other poster only ever posts the same time as you and backs up your points against other posters everytime they pop into the threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,328 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

if welfare was reduced, this would hardly lead to a rise in criminality amongst refugees, would it? and, does most welfare received end up back into the economy, when spent?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,791 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I have no doubt considering the amount of posts about Ukrainians that their have been probably a few xenophobic posts, the majority probably on a wind up.

I have seen people post in frustration about government policy.

Seems this thread is so rife with racists and xenophobics I am sure you will have no problem pointing out several of those post's So we can all take a look at them?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Why would it lead to criminality? It’s not like they’d need to steal to pay for food/keep a roof over their head.

so if you reduce peoples income, leaving them with very little options for employment, theyd just accept this, i.e. humans just do this, and nothing else, such as engaging in criminal activities, in order to survive?

• Advertisement

Survive?? They have rent free accommodation, breakfast lunch and dinner provided, no electricity bills, free travel, care packs, and on top of that, even if reduced by half, they’d still have €100 a week disposable income. For **** sake man. No wonder the country is getting bent over if your attitude is widespread.

Agreed. The last of my family is emigrating in December.

New planning laws mean they can't build homes, anything for sale is being grabbed by property developers, at utterly unrealistic prices compared to the local wage rate, there is a rental crises - the list goes on.

They're highly qualified lads and ladies - yet, they're unable to make a home for themselves in Donegal.

The irony is that one of them wanted to buy a large building, with a view to opening a business related to tourism (b&b, tours, activities etc)

Pre planning check was emphatic. No planning would be given.

That same building is now being retrofitted to house Ukrainians - and, no, the new owner is not Irish...

We've had around 5,000 families desperate for help for years, because their houses are collapsing round them. But, sure, they were allegedly not deserving of help.

Lo and behold, those who are not Irish can be housed and provided for without any consideration of the cost...

Why is that?

I believe in equality.

I believe we should help those fleeing war as much as we can.

I don't believe that help should come at a cost that makes the Irish people second class citizens, or less deserving of basic human rights than any other Nationality.

Yet, that is precisely what this Government is doing, supported by every other major political party in the Country.

Not a single one of them will get any of my extended family's votes in the next election, or any other election.

"Servants of the people" they most certainly are not!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

It’s sad to see a potentially great country like Ireland being utterly destroyed in this manner and it’s resources pimped out so vacant idiots like Helen Mcentee can get a pat on the head from the EU and her NGO strong pullers. We need to do a Sweden. And fast

accommodation? sticking people in hotels, b&b's, halls, tents etc, is not accommodation, ffs! people coming from such situations have far more complex health care needs than the average person, particularly psychological needs, many would be experiencing severe problems such as ptsd etc, the health care required effectively doesnt exist here in ireland at the moment, particularly publicly.

bent over, how? most of the money received is probably being spent straight back into the economy, similar to other welfare recipients, which in turn creates jobs and increases economic activities....

• Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

New planning laws mean they can't build homes, anything for sale is being grabbed by property developers, at utterly unrealistic prices compared to the local wage rate, there is a rental crises - the list goes on

Really, there is some absolute bargains for sale in Donegal at the moment.

Did they check Daft?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

Good post. It certainly doesn't add to the credibility of some people. I'd also have more respect if they were honest but they know they would be banned so it's a constant battle between them and the mods as to how far they can push it and it's none of my business but I do have some sympathy for the mods here. I think even when you posted the actual proof of the mod quote as to why the thread was closed, you'd still get some people either pretending they didn't see it or just skipping past the post as if its not there lol. You've literally just won the argument, as there was literally no comeback, so it's quite funny to see.

fiscal mess! where? again, we ve done the whole running the economy primarily on credit, it didnt work out too well! whos hard earned money, what are you talking about?

This whole EU directive they keep spewing about...what is that...

What's with the language here, Daisy? Seriously?

You know what the directive is. It was brought in years ago, as a contingency, in case some emergency happened somewhere necessitating a huge exodus from somewhere. Nuclear fallout, for example, or - as has happened - an invasion. It's never been activated before this year.

Ukraine is geographically a huge country compared to Ireland.

Yup. So people keep saying. All of it has been attacked, including central, southern, northern and western areas. Seven million people are internally displaced. You know this.

Agree with you the nursing homes, fwiw.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,336 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

All of the Ukraine hasn’t been attacked. Nothing close in fact.

Hello, reroll!

So 75% who can work are happy to sit on the dole. And spare me the "poor English" or lack of childminders rubbish. The vast majority are living in communal accommodation and could easily rotate childcare with other shiftworker parents. The industries most in need of staff are incidentally ones where the least English is required (wait staff, glass collectors, bar staff, cleaners)

Who the **** says they're happy to sit on the dole? Many are newly arrived. Many (66%) do have poor English, and if you think wait staff and bar staff don't need at some level of good English, well... Glass collectors, sure. Good luck getting home from your nightclub or late night bar to your hotel on the outskirts of Dublin, without public transport. Go work a job, then collect your kids from a childminder and mind someone else's kids, in your hotel room? Jebus, why am I even arguing against this straw man...

For a start, they look slightly different to the East Europeans we are used to. Baltics for instance are one of the worlds tallest races. Poles look different to them. Romanians (ethnic Romanians not Roma) tend to look more like Italians than East Europeans (swarthy, very few fair haired), and are usually not particularly tall. Language and culture also more Med than EE. Ukrainians are more sallow and tend to tan a certain shade in the summer, their features are distinctly more Eastern and Russian like.

Boggles... (the word, not the boardsie) You can tell someone's nationality just by looking a them? Really? What a pity you were born so late, there was a country in the early to mid part of the last century would have loved to employ you!

• Advertisement

But remember, Moldovans tan slightly yellower than Ukrainians, except in July, and Inuit are more swarthy than Latvians!

They are refugees. They’re lucky to have safety. We are not the worlds babysitter.

Thank you for sharing information. It is interesting to know some of the countries not paying support. I researched and got these figures from the official sources, its easy enough to find it online (google translate helps).

I posted some of the links in the old thread over the summer, e.g. Sweden https://ec.europa.eu/migrant-integration/news/sweden-accommodation-allowance-restrictions-proving-problematic-new-arrivals-ukraine_en

https://www.migrationsverket.se/English/Private-individuals/Protection-and-asylum-in-Sweden/While-you-are-waiting-for-a-decision/Financial-support.html

Post edited by MysticMe on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

indeed education is always good , a quick google would have told you who wear their wedding bands on their right hand before posting but there you go .A snippet of info for you Germans wear their band on the left when they get engaged and move it to the right when they marry

• Registered Users Posts: 13,464 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

So, you can tell Falashas simply by looking at them? Actually, don't answer that, your racist profiling nonsense has nothing to do with the thread topic, pal.

But, do recall you spouted some lie about France and Ukraine that I called you on. Got some statistics showing more ISIS violence in France than Ukrainians killed by RuSSians, oh new user?

And, frankly, even that response doesn't matter, as its off topic from the thread. So, here's one for you to answer: Should the government have put a limit on the number of Ukrainian refugees entering Ireland? If so, what should it be?

No, in the same way all of Ireland wasn't rained on in the last 2 weeks. When urban centres at every compass point and the centre have been attacked with missiles and rockets, it's fair to say all of Ukraine has been attacked. Not so much the fields and mountains, in fairness.

On the welfare side, the first and most obvious consequence of reduced rates would be fewer refugees coming into Ireland from other European states. The information I posted about EU rates is easily available and is probably shared in various groups/chats, people heading to Ireland most likely know what they are coming for. I can't see the rise in criminality given the fact it is mostly females with children.

It is hard to judge what proportion of payments end up in the economy, as in some cases all the basic needs are already met before the payments.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

If posters do not wish to discuss the topic they can expect to be threadbanned. If you choose to discuss other posters you can expect further sanction. And if it continues like it has for the past couple of pages (mostly now deleted) this thread will be closed as well

• Registered Users Posts: 25,336 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It’s not fair, because it isn’t true, it’s a gross misrepresentation. Large swathes of the Ukraine haven’t seen a shred of violence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 aland123

How about banning people from posting 3,4,5,6 consecutive posts in a row to pad out the thread with crap.

Advertisement