Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was the government right to put no limit on the amount of Ukrainian refugees in Ireland? Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Apparently they are staying in Hotel Wesport, which is on the grounds of Wesport House. The owners got 20 million from the state last year

Westport House was acquired by the Hughes family in 2017 after it was put up for sale by Nama for €10 million. This week, it secured €20.2 million in State funding towards a €36.1 million public-private partnership (PPP) project to build a number of new attractions on the estate.

That's a few hundred beds that won't be there for their tourism industry too, which usually does quite well all year around compared to most of the nation. I doubt the locals are too happy about that.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

What the government are planning on doing in Killarney tomorrow is outrageous. Regardless of your opinion on how many asylum seekers/refugees are being taken into the country, surely everyone can agree that uprooting women and children (to make way for 200 men) who've escaped a war torn region and are now settled into the community is disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

I would agree that families with children require more stability especially after leaving their home country due to war. It’s hard enough starting school in a language that isn’t your native language and then making new friends.

Single men don’t require the same sense of stability that a child does. You would wonder about the kind of people that make decisions like this.

Highly dim and Extremely dangerous people who sadly finishing this country for ever

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

This thread is about Government policy on Ukrainian refugees

There is another thread where you can discuss accommodation for asylum seekers from other countries

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Utter, utter insanity.

I make no apologies for my opinion that accepting an uncapped number of Ukrainians is misdirected at best. However, I believe that most Irish people understand that Ukrainians are legitimately fleeing a war zone and fit the broadly acknowledged definition of a refugee. They are also predominantly women and children, albeit with a significant and concerning minority of military-aged men.

To now uproot a large group of Ukrainian women and children, to re-settle 200 men from the MENA region clearly demonstrates the level of lunacy now prevalent in this government. Helen McEntee and Roderick O’Gorman need to be relieved of their duties ASAP. They are an unbelievably incompetent duo who must be removed from office before they manage to inflict further irrevocable damage to this country. They are both disgraceful individuals who will be viewed with contempt by future generations.

Caught in the middle of this s**t storm is the Irish people, and more specifically, the Irish taxpayer who is financing this entire charade. How much longer will people tolerate being f***ed over in this manner by incompetent politicians, incapable of governance and who clearly view the Irish electorate with contempt? I am genuinely fearful of the society that my children and my nieces and nephews will inherit.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I am genuinely fearful of the society that my children and my nieces and nephews will inherit

What does this irrational fear look like in your reality?

Do you have a young family Boggles? Any children?

Irrelevant and quiet frankly none of your business.

No generation in Ireland has had it worst than the last, that is an absolute fact.

But, could you at least attempt answering the question if you don't mind, in your own time. Here it is again.

I am genuinely fearful of the society that my children and my nieces and nephews will inherit

What does this irrational fear look like in your reality?

That’s fine. You’ve told me everything I need to know.

I see why you have no issue with a large group of Ukrainian women and children being removed from their current residence at short notice to make way for a couple of hundred male asylum seekers.

• Advertisement

Okay so, just the normal boring doom mongering based on your internal irrational fears.

As instructed there appears to be another thread to discuss what you claim I have no issue with although I have made no comment on it. That is some skill you have. 😂

It doesn’t take very much skill to read you Boggles. You’re pretty transparent 😉.

Do you have any comment on the situation those Ukrainian women and children now find themselves in? Do you think this is a prudent move by the authorities?

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Honesty Policy

Same names, different day 😬

I know for a fact that UCD and NUI Galway still have Ukrainian refugees staying in their onsite accommodation. This is the absolute carry that I absolutely disagree with.

This government are absolutely not fit for purpose and lack any kind of management skills.

Irish people are just not their priority!

I ask the question...do you really think Ukraine would do for us, what we are doing for them. Yeah right, never!

As is your cowardice.

Refugees are moved whole sale since the start, your new found concern is rather bizarre.

War in Europe, who knew not everything would not fit nicely into boxes and everything would be ace, that's not reality, although you would have to frequent it to get a sense of it.

It’s ok Boggles. Your non-answers to all questions clearly delineate your perspective and motivations👍

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

That’s a pretty rational fear, an irrational fear who be “I’m afraid that earthworms will turn into dragons and eat me”.

Irrational fears have no basis in reality. Current government policy is going to negatively impact future generations.

Irrational fears have no basis in reality

Indeed, that was my point.

You can tell quiet clearly when someone is self suffering because when asked the most rudimentary question on their irrationality they cannot answer, usually the replies range from name calling to deflection, but ultimately too cowardly to articulate why they are being irrational.

Current government policy is going to negatively impact future generations

Giving Ukrainians sanctuary whilst a lunatic slaughters them? 😕

Okay, please list the negative impacts on future generations please.

Be very specific and pointed if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,464 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

At least the refugees in Killarney aren't suddenly going to be relocated to Mayo. What a shambles!

Nice to live in a country where protest, and lobbying of Ministers, has an effect. Much better than one where holding up a piece of white paper gets you hauled off to prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭timmyntc

We are starting to see the system creaking at the seams for asylum seekers/refugees due to the lack of a cap on numbers coming in here. While the case in killarney was due to non-ukrainians asylum seekers, we will see similar things happen in future as more and more come in from places including ukraine. Ukrainian refugees will be continuously cycled around the country from place to place as the availability of places to stay and other resources to support them (GP spaces, school places, availability of work etc) is always shifting and the department will keep on moving them around to somewhere they think is better.

After westport many will probably be moved further north again to rural donegal - plenty of old hotels recently purchased there in anticipation of refugee money from the state. I feel sorry for the Ukrainians going to have to move there, more often than not they are hosted in (previously near empty) hotels by the sea, with little nearby in the way of towns or shops or employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Thats unbelievable. Really feel for homeless students.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

I'm interested to understand where the elsewhere in Killarney is going to happen.

You said uncapped....you got uncapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

It doesn’t have to even be future generations, education standards will drop due to classroom sizes. That’s a current impact. As I said from that start, centralised camps were the way to go. It doesn’t put pressure on the concentrated areas and separates refugees from overcrowding the housing market that was already stretched.

The irony of you focusing on deflection and irrationality is of course lost on you. That’s before we start on the name calling..

QED:

1. Boggles sees no issues with parachuting 200 men from the MENA region into a regional Irish town.
    2. Boggles cannot possibly fathom how a significant influx of young men from that region will not have negative ramifications for current and future generations.
    3. Boggles sees no particular issue with moving a large group of Ukrainian women and children, with 36 hours notice, to accommodate said male asylum seekers.

On the balance of evidence, I suggest those reading the thread can make up their own minds, as to whom irrationality can be ascribed..

MODS: I’m aware that points 1 and 2 are out-of-scope and will refrain from mentioning them again in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Different names, same account... 🙄

Got any proof for what you "know for a fact"?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

3 key tourist destinations dependent on cheap hospitality labour.

You specifically said future generations. 🤷‍♀️

At this moment in time as luck would have it our schools are undersubscribed. There is pressure areas, there always will be.

"Centralised Camps" Jesus.

Anyway which EU country is using these and what the hell are they, because they sound horrific?

I have said no such thing, not only are you completely off topic you are blatantly lying.

It's all part of the deflection, but either way please refrain.

Thank God, certain people can now cease their hilarious faux concern.

😂

As opposed to your genuine concern Boggles?

Good to see logic prevail in this case. Shame it takes creating a media ruckus to force this government to actually examine the consequences of their actions.

• Advertisement

Advertisement