Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was the government right to put no limit on the amount of Ukrainian refugees in Ireland? Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Is that actually what is on offer to them? Ffs like. This is madness when you think of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

I'd like to see some kind of comparison as to what all of the other European countries are offering.

Lots of claims about our generosity. I'd like to see what the others are doing.

Il look into it

• Registered Users Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Whoop-de-do.

Would it make you feel happier if we didn't assign them a numerical identifier that they can use to work and pay taxes with?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,318 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Yeah yeah yeah. You're an expert on EU laws. No one cares.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,509 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Hungry Burger threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 9,775 ✭✭✭buried

Would these be the same lads that had a "remedial view of what the reality of the situation" was in Europe from 2001 - 2008? Because they f**ked up bigtime

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Its all pretty tasteless tbh. I am very lucky to n have a house but it must be soul destroying to compete against bottomless pockets

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Beechwoodspark threadbanned

The government saying now there will be more checks at the airport which suggests they have concerns about those arriving ( something dismissed for ages) . A means test now for medical cards.

Also they are going to charge for meals in hotels.

I remember being shouted down here for suggesting those who house refugees get paid for it. Now the government are going to double the payment for those who take refugees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Cbumkin

Last week the government announced that it was "considering" charging a NOMINAL RENT to refugees staying in State-funded accommodation WHO ARE WORKING.

There is NO country in the world apart from Ireland that would be so niave to offer such a generous package.

Absolutely no chance that young nurses or low to medium paid workers in this country who have to rent their accommodation at market prices would ever be offered such a deal. Our own citizens treated less favourably that the people we are hosting.

If I was a refugee working here in such circumstances I would be spreading the news far and wide to everyone I knew in my home country to get on the next available plane to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭The Spider

I wouldn’t have believed it 6 months ago, but now we have the eviction ban, they’re putting it out there now, only a matter of time before they declare it being compulsory.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Why are we taking in more Ukrainians per head of population than so many other European countries?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,329 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The nominal rent charge if it happens will be a tenner off their social welfare, just to placate the natives,

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Cbumkin

The ones who are receiving social welfare will have nothing taken off them at all , just that they may have to pay for their food from now on but your figure may be right for those who are working and earning a wage while still living in State-funded accommodation

• Registered Users Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭baldbear

Is it not a bit crazy that a Ukrainian refugee can get €206 a week benefit plus hotel and food supplied? Am I understanding this right?

You can add in there that they've already worked out that we're a bunch of eijets here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Why wasn’t this been done before???

Someone has to take the blame for not enforcing our immigration laws and rules properly.

Which government department is responsible for this???

Wheres the accountability???

• Registered Users Posts: 40,008 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

We have always had right wing governance in Europe. 😕

And AFAIK the EU bloc are fully behind giving refuge to Ukrainians.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

Where is it indeed, these are crimes of treason on our modest state of the utmost profundity. As they continue apace we demand action; not words. Lies in most cases so where does it end, and who goes on trial this has long since come to a head

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

Based off a post I have just read on the Help Ukrainians in Ireland fb page, the government should have put strict rules around this temporary protection.

20 yr old arrives in Ireland earlier in the year. 20 yr old has been back in Ukraine for the past 4 months seeing her “sick mother” 20 yr old now wants to return again to Ireland and is enquiring about her temporary protection status AND social welfare benefits. The “sick mother” is now better and is staying in Ukraine.

Whether the fb post is true or not, I cannot say. But can those with protection status leave for extended periods and then just come back and pick up where they left off? If they can, it really does make a mockery of the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,099 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

A few reasons why the Irish public are not so gung ho on housing Ukrainian refugees as they were initially

1) the war is clearly going to last a long time. Initial goodwill to help people for a few months is now tempered by reality.

2) the large sums being paid to hoteliers and the like for accommodating refugees, compared to the smaller sums offered to individual citizens.

3) perceived abuse of the system by refugees in terms of working and receiving benefits well beyond what Irish people can get assistance for.

4) perceived abuse of the system by Ukrainian males aged 18-60, who have no business being here, without proper permission from Ukraine.

5) growing demands that all refugees and economic migrants be treated to the 'gold standard' that has been set.

6) the impact in parts of rural Ireland in particular on local services like schools and health care.

7) the impact on certain businesses that rely on visitors/ tourists being able to stay in the region.

I still think we should we offering refuge to Ukrainian women, children and elderly who need temporary shelter during this war but our government needs to get a handle on all above matters very quickly, as they are losing the dressing room.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭foxsake

add in the official Ukrainian tone of demanding everybody pays for them .

Zelensky's demands for money , no requests but demands added to the Ukrainian ambassador calling the irish situation "unacceptable" as if we should be obliged to give them the shirt off our backs.

https://www.thejournal.ie/ukraine-refugees-housing-2-5900760-Oct2022/

we have forked out millions to help them - when ultimately Russia versus Ukraine is not our fight - out of generosity - and she retorts with such an attitude. It stinks.

I'm sure Ukrainians are nice people but their officials seem to be the worst kind of ingrates. Its never enough for them.

Our money could (and should be ) spent elsewhere to the betterment of Irish Society especially now considering they don't even appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Well the Ukrainian ambassador to Ireland coming out saying that the treatment of new arrivals in Ireland are unacceptable really takes the biscuit. I have lost all sympathy for them based on this piece of diplomacy. They went off home for the summer and now all want to come back at the same time for the winter and expect everything to run smoothly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Provide downward pressure on wages, shore up rental market and property prices.

It's also the cause du jour for the rich.

She didn't say that though. She said that it was unacceptable that there was no beds available for some that arrived.

The rest of your post is unsubstantiated rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It was a bizarre thing though for her to come out with.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

I love your unfounded sweeping generalisations stated as facts.

No we haven't always had right-wing governance in Europe.

From 1945 until the early 1980's there was virtually no right wing representation in the European parliaments.

Communist parties were much more prevalent. For example, Italy had Europe's largest Communist party outside of USSR.

The first wave of post-war right wing native populists emerged as the Front National in France in the 1980's as a response to North African immigration but were not part of any government.

The decision by Angela Merkel to admit a million Syrians saw a rise in support for the far right AfD in Germany which gave a right wing presence in the Bundestag for the first time since the demise of the Nazi party.

Sweden, Italy, Hungary have in very recent times ELECTED right-wing parties to form governments.

There is a direct correlation between concerns over immigration and votes for right-wing parties.

The unelected elites in the EU Commission may be in favour of mass Ukrainian immigration but the people most certainly are not.

Well I understand it was related to the situation of the 33 people who arrived and were told that there was nothing for them. It wasn't a commentary on everything that all the rest of them were and are still being given.

The same as if some politician came out and said that it was unacceptable that a vulnerable Irish person was left to wander the streets at night that it wouldn't be expressing ungratefulness for all the people who are housed by the State. And yes, all the Ukrainians would be, by definition, vulnerable. They have nothing here and don't know the place and possibly don't speak any English

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭baldbear

I'm finding it very interesting the money to be made out of the Ukrainian refugee situation.

Alot of our local & national politicians are landlords. How many of them are involved in the hotelier business?

In my local town a local hotel was taken over by lads from Goggle box. Michael Collins girlfriends gaff.

They have the place occupied now with Ukrainians. Tax free?

It's a wonder vulture funds aren't getting involved in the action.

Advertisement