Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was the government right to put no limit on the amount of Ukrainian refugees in Ireland? Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

All we need now is some NGO to start pushing to revisit birthright citizenship.

Something that if reintroduced would make us a complete outlier in the EU and paint a big bright bullseye on our country .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

If one has one’s paperwork in order when applying for benefits, there’s almost no delay in receiving payment.

Declare yourself homeless and you will be accommodated. It’s been a long time since we heard of any Ericas or Maggies.

You claimed that numerous Ukrainian refugees are being bussed into a town near you to work while claiming benefits, then say you’ve got no idea and couldn’t care less, so why post such rubbish?

There are some posters who expect others to accept bar talk and hearsay as fact, when we of know the facts.

We cannot put a cap on numbers. We’re not alone in being overrun and struggling to cope. BOTP are entitled to same benefits of citizens of the country they seek refuge in.

It’s a tough situation, especially coming on the back of Covid. I do think that we’re right not to turn our backs.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Honesty Policy

Honestly Ireland was going down the Swanee anyway but they have and will destroy the very fabric of Ireland. It is just not recognisable anymore.

They should be absolutely ashamed of themselves to not have standards and boundaries to protect their own citizens but they don't.

I could not look myself in the mirror or feel proud of myself if I was a politician in power at the moment.

In the space of 5 years, I don't feel at home in most towns in Donegal. What will it feel like in another 5 or 10 years time. It's just being Ghettoised!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

When and if a time comes?

How many years and billions of legal aid is it going to cost to send these people home as it is only Temporary Protection? When they refuse?

If they get a house for the oul 50.41 a week (going rate for a single mother with 3 kids) how exactly do they take it away?

I keep hearing yes yes yes loads of houses and modular homes. We'll use them for the Irish after. That alone stinks they should have done it already. No Irish are getting these houses.

If somebody's home is blown to bits, you give them a 3 bedroom house in a safe country, do people think they are going to leave?

Then what??? we have thousands of mothers who need to look after their kids, so can't work therefore need benefits or assistance, So that's a house, 200 odd a week , child benefit, medical card bah blah blah and whatever else, then the husbands come?

So 50,000 we'll say a third of them have husbands, they move into the gaff that's anolther few hundred , medical, PTS or whatever.

My mother is dying of cancer, started in the breast, went to the lungs, bones, brain. Pretty much her whole body now, be lucky if she gets to Christmas.

This is no word of a lie but literally the second day she was diagnosed her medical card was suspended.

Fortunately for and us, back before covid they gave her 3 months but for some miracle she's still with us. It took us over 1 year to get her medical card back, documents documents documents, gp papers, hospital appointment proof etc... Was an absolute joke.

If you're Ukrainian or brown oh or Algerian, the biggest crime gang in the world dealing drugs and raping everything in your sight, then here you go.

I can see rightly why people are pissed off.

P.s: I know it's long but this is not a one eyed jack post. If you know you know 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

It's just being Ghettoised!

Apparently they are going to film a remake of The Wire in Dungloe next year

They'll be able to get plenty of Extras for it anyway. Lots of people with plenty of time on their hands 😬. Funny, not funny!

Anyhoo I think that joke was used not that long ago, so not original!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I used it before you registered that account. Or as you say, not that long ago

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

I heard at the start some 12bn fund that gone awol now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,273 ✭✭✭emo72

Adults in there late 20s early 30s can't afford to leave home and are stuck living with parents. There lives are put on hold indefinitely because they can't rent, can't buy. They are someone's children, but now are adults. They don't have the same opportunities as the generation before. So "adult children", it was clear and obvious to me what was meant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

How can an adult be a child. Young adult, grand. Late 20s/early 30s no.

Feck sake, don't infantile them.

I understand the issue and its ridiculous. But throwing three words into a meaningless statement is going towards emotional bs.

Plenty children live with parents until they can afford their own place.

That's a bit unfair. I rarely agree with this posters post,but absolutely no issue with that one.

Living with your folks at an older 20s age does not make you a child. Not in the way it was stated.

This is happening 6 months too late for Donegal but at least people are finally starting to see the light and the unfairness of dumping loads of refugees into certain counties like Donegal. Will watch it on +1 now!

Well, that's the point. Young adults are getting older and older before they can have an opportunity to leave home. I was 20 too. My kids will be in their 30s IF they get an opportunity. And I don't want them saddled with huge mortgages or huge rents. I'd like them to have some quality of life. That's all being taken away with the way the government is running the country. Take it easy Mary. I appreciate your honesty

Different times. I left home when I got married. Big mistake! My childrens partners were welcome in our home since they were all in secondary school together!

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

I post it because its true.

Now off you go to your Ukrainian support group and knit some blue and yellow scarves cos it makes you feel better.

Yeah different times. Better times. Better opportunities. Could you have a bit of sympathy for my kids? They would love to have a house provided to them like some Ukrainians, or anyone else who has come from abroad and been provided with a house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Cbumkin

Well then be prepared to hate the next government equally much because when it comes to the immigration issue Sinn Fein have no discernable difference in policy from FF, FG, Greens, Labour Party, PBP, SP etc. They are just as much in favour of leaving the door wide open as much as possible as the rest of them!

Your kids will be fine. Good times come and good times go. They’ll be all the stronger for their struggles. Have faith in them.

Ok, watched PT and what a waste of time. Did not touch on the nitty gritty issues and didn't mention Donegal at all!

Anything to be said for a party who proposes controlled immigration? Like please come, but we need people who can provide services and skills we need? Is that so far fetched nowadays?

Okay. Sympathy you asked for. I wish that their was ample supply of affordable renting and purchasing housing stock. Also I disagree with the current refugee agreement, for a number of reason. Although I most certainly agree with doing our bit.

So, back to young adult kids. What have they done for themselves? Irish kids I mean. Do they know how to iron, expect their lunches and dinners made, change their bed sheets? Or does mammy/daddy do it? I'll admit I can be too much of a mammy, but if I heard that crap from them, they're be words.

I agree, the government have been awful, nearly the last couple of decades on certain things, but to blame Ukrainians for our ineptitude on the housing side is wrong as well as the dosh their getting.

Do I blame the piss takers, yes, but more so our government. Word is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭eggy81

I’d love to know the why behind these policy’s on immigration. Is it simply down to not having a choice or is there an overarching plan behind it all regarding pensions or staffing jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

The pensions line gets trotted out by those that want open borders. However, immigrants paying pensions only works with a very controlled immigration system. Whereby the immigrants are well paid and net contributors (we do have some of this category) If you start adding either social welfare dependents or those on low incomes who require housing and other welfare assistance then no they aren’t going to pay anyones pensions. The staffing jobs thing…maybe.

Many posters believe Irish ministers eye up EU jobs for when they get booted out of office. I think we have several politicians who are true believers in open borders and this refugee crisis is an opportunity for them. The party whip system is usually successful in keeping the backbenchers quiet on controversial issues. Social media has had a negative effect of democracy. It has allowed minority views gain prominence and if you disagree you are dismissed as a bigot. I am noticing a shift on social media though people are more likely to speak out about this and other issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Mayo County Councillors opposing the building of modular housing in Claremorris - RTE.

Lovely mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,008 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Many posters believe Irish ministers eye up EU jobs for when they get booted out of office. I think we have several politicians who are true believers in open borders and this refugee crisis is an opportunity for them

Which "EU jobs" and can you give examples?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

Darragh Murphy and Eoin Murphy..two former FG Ministers immediately spring to mind.

Advertisement