Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was the government right to put no limit on the amount of Ukrainian refugees in Ireland? Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭CeCe12

One Rule in life that's very simple,

If people don't talk about it?

It never happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

The Energy ship as sailed. We will be paying out our arses for energy unless the EU steal it from Russia. So with all that we really can't afford unlimited immigration.

Post edited by CeCe12 on

😀😀😀😀😀

Post edited by CeCe12 on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

To be fair they did cover the Right wingers setting fires that were never caught but know what they are. 🤔

• Advertisement

One way ticket for you, I can pay for it, if you care so much? you can help the old granny I read about last, her house is demolished, how much do you think Zerolensky gave her our of his big budget? I can tell. , the equalisation of €56. All that money Europe is sending over there. Pull the other one , ask me to add the link? No problem.

Post edited by CeCe12 on

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

Again the Government is failing in its response to local needs and external needs. Uncapped is dangerous territory in my humble opinion.

This is the most pertinent statement, this is all down to government failings. Criticism of the government on this does not equate to it’s all the Ukrainians fault for coming here so they have to gtfo, despite some posters on here who wish to equate any criticism of the official line as being xenophobic and practically neo nazi.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,328 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Examiner, the Times, RTÉ , the Independent , Newstalk, all in recent weeks getting wind of the chronic shortage in students accommodation.

student groups…said in..

June.. “ we expect it to be worse then ever “

September “ worse then ever, at breaking point “

No limit on Ukrainian arrivals, no limit on how thoroughly and chronically students and their aspirations are being fûcked into the ditch, head first… one student contemplating commuting… Dublin to Galway, you’d be dead or broke by Christmas….probably both..

your reward is probably to end up sitting beside a Ukrainian student, a wallet full on money, medical card, free travel and an apartment on campus….yourself and parents paying tax all your life and that’s the thanks you’ll get when you want an education…

nutsville.

no limit makes no sense.

Sorry, I didn’t mean to wind you up. It’s a parody of the argument I’m against, I just thought it was funny. Of course the argument of resources and numbers is relevant. As we see in Sweden yesterday, the UK with brexit, the US with their wall, the electorate soon get sick of an open border policy. Even the democrats in the US are now bragging about fixing the wall and according to our journalists the far right are now in power in Sweden because of immigration…. SWEDEN! Each country can take in only so many people until it starts to be detrimental to most people. Obviously not the ones that live in exclusive areas, they won’t effect them at all.

If this happened in Northern Ireland I’d say make the numbers unlimited, they are our closest neighbour. We’d expect them to do the same for us in times of crisis. Ukraine are not our neighbours, they have already plenty of neighbours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

So 75 percent of Ukrainians are living off social welfare. This is pathetic and it cannot continue.

They need to be cut off and decide whether they want to work and build a life here or go back to their old one. We cannot babysit them forever.

Christmas time will be very interested. I guarantee the majority of them will return to their war stricken homeland and rock back in the new year expecting the welfare loot in their bank accounts.

Thats the time to close the borders to them and cut them off.

Yes I did vomit when I saw houses in the town centre (opposite Letterkenny IT) that to this year always housed students but €€€, now house Ukrainians. This is along with the perfectly good student accommodation that was handed over to house 360 refugees in Letterkenny last year!

Yes, logically, you guessed it...there is now a student accommodation crisis in Letterkenny!

Anyhoo, as an extremely proud and patriotic Donegal lady, your views do not align with mine in any shape or form so I will use the amazing Ignore button 👋👋👋

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

Huge parts of Ukraine haven't seen as much as a firecracker going off in this war. It's completely ridiculous we are still letting them in with no limits whilst other countries are not especially given our extraordinary housing crisis at present. This is a national scandal.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Syria is also very much a part of imperialist Russian interests, in hard and soft power and resources and has the West involved too. Just like Ukraine. The countries in the EU are in, well the EU and NATO. Russia is about as likely to roll any tanks across their borders as pigs are getting clearance from air traffic control. They haven't been able to roll their tanks across Ukraine, never mind anywhere else. The Syrian crisis fired over a million refugees at the EU. The biggest movement of refugees since WW2. The EU is paying billions to Turkey, a nation bordering the EU and a NATO member(and a fair few quid to Jordan) to keep millions more of them there and away from the same EU. The differences between the two crises are remarkably narrow. The difference in responses are far wider. I still contend a large part of that is that one group look more like us.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭screamer

It’s all well and good is sitting here pontificating. How many of us have experienced or survived a war? Not me, but talking to someone recently who did changed my mind on a lot of this, the horrors of war we cannot even imagine, and I think the government were right not to cap the numbers of Ukrainians coming here. Better to be safe in a tent in Ireland than dead or brutalised in Ukraine. I’m only sorry that our housing stocks are a joke, as these refugees deserve all the support they need, they are refugees in the truest sense.

Colleges can do remote learning, it was very possible in the pandemic and it’s very possible now. There seems to be no will to do it. Besides, college is not the be all and end all, some courses are an absolute waste of space. Some students would be better off getting a job and doing college part time. There are lots of options for students out there, but again because it’s not what people want, throw the toys out of the pram and blame the Ukrainian refugees……

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The Syrian crisis fired over a million refugees at the EU. The biggest movement of refugees since WW2

That is Europe not the EU. And it took place over a full calendar year.

That number was breached by Ukrainian refugees into the actual EU in less than 2 weeks.

Primarily because the Ukraine borders the EU and not because we are all racist sausages.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

So Greece, Italy, Hungary and Germany aren't the "actual EU"? Some even crossed Russia, with Russian help(as part of the pushback against them invading Crimea), to get into Finland and Norway.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Again I never said they didn't enter the EU.

I said millions didn't enter in mere days. Like happened in Feb and March.

You do understand the difference right? I have explained it several times at this stage.

Indeed special rules which also adds to the divide on the the treatment of this particular set of refugees compared to others in similar circumstances.

The difference was by design.

A war in Europe does not have the same ramifications as a war in Western Asia.

It's geography. And as the map you posted yesterday clearly illustrates, refugees from war in the majority will either stay in the country the war is taking place (displaced) or stay in the surrounding countries, that is exactly what is happening in this war.

Again the difference being those countries are in the EU.

• Advertisement

No argument against you, rather the differentials at play. In regard to my comment that lady's house was blown to obliteran 4 months ago and she's being left to her own devices. That is terrible. We all know plenty of funding has been shipped that way.

Oh right, so your problem is how one set of refugees are treated over another.

So you think the EU should activate the TPD for every conflict?

That's very Geldoff of you but a horrendous idea.

No I could not concede to that.

My problem is our so called leaders ignoring all of the homegrown problems and throwing money every which way at an external problem.

The Government are responsible (use that phrase loosely) to responding to all crisis. They are not fit for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Well I was alive in Dublin when bombs were going off in Belfast. So I’d imagine my experiences are the same as a lot of Ukrainians who lived 95 or so miles from anywhere affected, quite a sizeable number I’d bet. Sadly there were no countries giving handouts, free money and free accommodation in a more stable country for my family to “flee” to in the 80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

I’m more than happy for us to extend aid to Ukraine and take as we have capacity for.

The problem is that we have far far exceeded our capacity. We are in the middle of a housing and cost of living crisis, medical facilities are at breaking point - allowing the inward movement of ten of thousands of people in the space of months is like pouring petrol on the fire.

The situation is not sustainable and I shudder to think of the cost to the exchequer but more so the human cost - Irish taxpayers that will miss medical procedures, housing opportunities, college places etc due to their own government overextending themselves.

Worse still is that no journalists and only a couple of independent TDs here and there have had the balls to highlight the reality of this situation. I wrote to three of my TDs and disappointingly got the same canned hand wave response that their hands were tied by the “EU directive”. I must admit I find this strange as I remain unable to find where in this directive the instruction to provide full free housing, medical care, transport, third level education and welfare payments for all arrivals. The government failing their own citizens at yet another turn.

We are in the middle of undiscovered territory regarding energy bills. Most hotels, I think you would agree are block booked to accommodate refugees. Refugees are known for their thrifty ways therefore what may have appeared to be a good deal in the beginning to hotels will be their downfall.

Yeah, that myopic remedial view is quite common.

That "external problem", whether we take in a refugee or not is our problem.

Also our homegrown problems have lingered for decades. If we are waiting for those be fixed before we decide to help anyone else, we simply won't help anyone else.

But again the EU are not helping Ukraine to be uber sound, it is a self preservation exercise first and foremost.

I fully agree with our actions in regard to sheltering the refugees. The original question of this thread. Should there have been a limit in number? Yes of course.

As you have stated within your reply our homegrown problems have been ongoing for at least a decade if not more.

This inaction results in limiting our response.

• Advertisement

That's one of the reasons why we have lingering problems. Sure we can't do anything right, so less do nothing.

Maybe do both?

Advertisement