Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to deal with uncooperative housemates when you are the sole name on the lease?

Options
  • 14-09-2022 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Someone close to me is having trouble with one of her housemates who is refusing to pay their share of some bills and also unwilling to take on personal responsibility for one of the utility bills (the agreement between all the housemates was that each person would have their name on at least one of the bills and would be responsible for collecting everyone's share of that bill and making sure it was paid).

So my friend is the only person who signed the lease and she is responsible for collecting rent and paying the letting agency. (it was up to her to find the housemates to fill the other rooms in the house)

My question is this; where does she stand if she decided that she would rather have this difficult housemate leave? Can she kick them out herself? If the housemate has not signed on the lease does she have any grounds to refuse to move out of the property?

Thanks

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭meijin

too many unnecessary complications; she should have all bills in her name, and collect the average total of bills each month

the housemate seems to be her licensee, so can be asked to leave with "a reasonable notice"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Xterminator

if the other person is a licensee, your housemate can give her notice, usually the same amount of time as the rent period. EG if rent is paid monthly a months notice. id make sure someone was in the house when the notice is issued. just in case of bad reaction.

then as advised above make next housemate pay inclusive of bills. no messing about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 MidlandsJack

Okay thank you for that information.

Another question has occurred to me on the back of that; what if the licensee refused to leave? What actions would need to be taken to make it happen?

Advertisement