Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coffee - maximum caffeine/€

Options
  • 14-09-2022 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭

I've been told to drink coffee, specifically to get a high caffeine intake.

I haven't drunk coffee since I was a teenager. I have to affinity to any brand or type. I just want cheapest caffeine with a tolerable taste - what do I go for?

What do strength numbers indicate?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

If you're not keen on the taste of coffee, then.. caffeine tablets? Significantly cheaper than coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

one thing to be mindful of - dark roasts have a "stronger" flavour profile, but in fact have a lower amount of caffeine per gram due to some being burned off in the roasting process.

So go for light roasts until you find something you like.

The question is though, why did you stop drinking coffee. Do you not like it? Is that because you were drinking something like Maxwell House - because really instant coffee is a completely different drink to fresh ground beans brewed into a drink.

What's your budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Thank you. Do I get them in the pharmacy?

"The question is though, why did you stop drinking coffee." - I was 15 and my brother gave out to me for drinking coffee on a race day. We lost that day, but won twice the next day. :) I don't mind coffee cake, but coffee itself has no attraction for me. I see the mood-altering effects of caffeine as a negative.

Budget - nil, but I'll have to spend what I have to.

well then it depends on what you actually want here, if you get into buying beans you are going to need a grinder and a way to brew the coffee

you could get a nespresso or some other pod machine and experiment with the different coffees available

or try (and I'm risking a banning here) a few different instant coffees.

I'm fairly sure there are caffeinated soft drinks too, must it be specifically coffee?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Who is telling you to consume high amounts of caffeine?

• Advertisement

Doctor. It's good for liver function.

and the doc didn't recommend caffeine supplements?

"I'm fairly sure there are caffeinated soft drinks too, must it be specifically coffee?" - many of those are full or sugar and other things.

"and the doc didn't recommend caffeine supplements?" - Dunno ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  It may be that they expect most people to be tea / coffee drinkers and that it would merely be a quantity adjustment for them.

What do strength numbers indicate?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

You mean the 1-5 roast levels? It's more of a taste indicator, with darker roasts being less subtle, potentially more bitter. It doesn't actually correlate to caffeine levels, though most would believe it does.

For caffeine tablets/supplements, probably Boots or similar supplement store, or online.

It's probably the opposite, I associate the 1-5 strength level to the roast level, ie strength of the roast flavour, which would correlate to lower caffeine (marginal)

• Advertisement
Advertisement