Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB Meter question

Options
  • 14-09-2022 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭

Hi All

Just taking an interest in the electricty costs now that it is going through the roof

When we bought the house is was on the ESB Gold shield plan day night meter

As far as i can remember there used to be just 1 day rate and 1 night rate

About 5 years ago the old meter gave up the ghost and they were charging everything at the day rate

We got on to the ESB and they replaced the meter and gave a refund of peanuts about €75

Now when I look at the esb bill there are 2 day rates and 2 night rates ?

As far as I can tell this is not any kind of smart meter so how can they charge 2 different day rates and 2 different night rates and how do you know what times the different rates are at

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Gooser14

The bill is probably showing 2 day & night rates because the unit price increased during the billing cycle. If you check some bills for the previous billing cycles & you will probably find one each day & night listing.

Night rates apply from 11 pm to 8 am during winter time & midnight to 9 am during summer time.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

I think you are absolutley right

Checked back through the bills for last few years and almost half of them had the 2 day + 2 night rates which as you say means the price increased on every second bill

The night rate is now the same price as the day rate was a couple of years ago ☹️

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭embracingLife

There's no change to the time in the Esb Meter night setting between summer & winter, it's the same time all year usually 11.30pm to 8.30am which is controlled by a separate time clock which controls the time between day and night rate. These time clocks are set and don't change between winter and summer times.

Advertisement