Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car Insurance 2nd Car

• 14-09-2022 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hi,

I'm just wondering if anyone can advise what is the best way to proceed with insuring a second car in the family.

I have a car and approx 20 years driving insurance and no claims. My wife is a named driver on that car insurance for last 10 years.

I am now buying a separate car for my wife so we will each have cars and I want us to be able to drive each others cars.

Should I put the car in my name and insure it and have wife as named driver as I am doing with my current car or can the car be in my wifes name and

insurance still be in my name as primary and her as named driver.

Or should I just put it in her name and let her insure it and me as named driver ?

Does it matter if the car is registered in my name or her name for insurance purposes given that she is my spouse ?

What is the "normal" and easiest way to do this ?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭FobleAsNuck

Discount only work on one car, so if you have one insured and want to insure a second one, you will pay full price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,978 ✭✭✭standardg60

The primary insured must be the registered owner afaik.

Put it in the wifes name with you as named driver, she should get a decent quote with the ten years named driver experience.

If you put it in your name your current ncb counts for nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭db

Doesn't matter which of you is the registered owner but get the insurance in her name with you as named driver. Third party extension will not cover you in the second car. Having each of you as named drivers may save a bit on the premiums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,524 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, this is a no-brainer. Put the second car in your wife's name and get her to take out a policy with you as a named driver. That will allow her to build up a no-claims bonus in her name and if you ever decide to downsize to one car, what you then do is flip the policy every year so each of you is never more than 12 months with no policy in your own name. That will allow each of you to preserve your no-claims history.

If you insure the second car in your name, you will be starting from scratch in terms of a no-claims history so you might as well let the wife start a policy in her name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭zg3409

Beware choose a car with low insurance for first few years as quotes will be high, as in pick a car less than 10 years old with a very small engine and that is not known as a boy racer car. Ideally get a firm quote from an insurer before buying the car. The costs for first few years may be very high. You may get discounts if you limit the annual mileage or get third party cover only. So pick carefully or the cost of insurance could be significant. Cars are very costly so consider carefully before becoming a 2 car household as you will have 2 motor tax etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

Insurance won't be high

First check with the company you are currently insured with - they should give credit as named driver.

Keep her as named driver on your car and likewise you become named driver on her car. Insurers like this and it can take up to 20% off.

Assuming she is over 35 and no accidents and full license, I would expect a quote about €500-€600 with Aviva/Allianz/Aig

Advertisement