Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations for a wireless alarm system

Options
  • 14-09-2022 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

i was nearly burgled this week and I’ve no alarm system which is probably why the house was targeted. I’d like a wireless system with a alarm box in the front of the house so thieves know there is an alarm system and an app. What’s the cheapest system around ? I don’t Want to sign up to one with a large subscription or get tied into a contract. I also don’t want any need for electrical work/wiring etc.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Amazon’s Ring Alarm is probably the best option for an afforadable wireless DIY alarm with app.

I’d recommend you get the external siren too:

Another similar option is the Yale Alarm, I’ve got this myself and I’m very happy with it, however the Ring has a couple of extra options available on their system in a similar price bracket:

At the higher end of the market, lots of people really like the Ajax alarm system. Can get pricey depending on options selected, but has far more options then the above two.

Id also recommend thinking about IP cameras, many cheap outdoor options now, they can help being an extra deterrent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭poker--addict

I just got home secure. 30e per month for 2 years, then the AJAX hardware is yours. I reckon the hardware I got is about the cost of the 2 years subscription but I get central monitoring for that, and don't have to cough up a few hundred upfront. So far so good with sales, installer, and customer service.

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Fishdoodle

I went with an Ajax setup - Relatively easy to install and have had no problems with it. Have an alarm box outside also with siren. You can scale back going over the top buying sensors and keep the cost down.

Checked Ring, Yale, Eufy ...but didn't really like what was in offer and there have been some privacy issues re. Ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭zg3409

If you want a physical bellbox with a light on it all night long then at least the bellbox needs to be wired to power.

If you want Garda response you need sensors linked to cameras and for it all to be approved.

I like cameras as they don't give false alarms and don't annoy you and don't need to be set and unset. You can get DIY kits but some great deals from installers for say a 4 camera installed kit.

In terms of house alarm they don't work when not set, so you MUST set every night, and must set when for example dropping kids to school. (A prime time for break ins).

Ideally you want one you can set at night and walk around house without setting it off. To do that you really need window and door sensors with one motion sensor for when not at home. You can also put a motion sensor in a room not used at night. Note most burglaries happen during daytime, often with windows or doors not locked. Try limit access to back garden with a strong locked gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Fishdoodle

If you want a physical bellbox with a light on it all night long then at least the bellbox needs to be wired to power.

Unless it’s battery powered.

If you want Garda response you need sensors linked to cameras and for it all to be approved.

Handy to have camera sensors for visual confirmation. If you have your own set-up and get a notification on your phone …you can ring the Garda yourself.

A perimeter sensor is great as it triggers an alarm before any entry is gained.-even before trying to force a window for ex.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭society4

Thanks all….I’ll explore those options

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Not sure your need cameras for Gardai response, unless you mean a personal setup? We have had Gardai response with no cameras on a monitored setup.

😎

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

You don't, but you do need at least two sensors to be triggered for a Garda response. One sensor setting off an alarm isn't enough.

Though I do think cameras are a really good idea. Someone calling the Gardai and saying they are literally watching a burglar in their home on their camera is likely to get a much speedier Garda response, than some alarm company calling them and saying an alarm has been triggered, but no visual conformation. Plus the alarm monitoring companies call you and the other keyholders first and try and get you to go check on the house, before they call the Gardai. Cameras speed all of that up.

Plus cameras are a good deterrent and you could always try and use the two way talk feature on them to talk to the burglar and tell them you've called the Gardai, might frighten them off faster.

Advertisement