Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Insurance - Breakdown Cover

Options
  • 14-09-2022 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

Insurance up for renewal and just wondering if anyone knows what insurers provide a complimentary rental car when a breakdown occurs, and for how long?

Also, does anyone know of any insurers that have no issue towing a car from the breakdown location to your home garage which may be hundreds of kilometres away?

Thanks!

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭Miscreant

well, 123.ie (RSA) provided me with a free rental for up to 7 days while my car was being repaired. I only needed it for 4 days but was still covered.

As for the breakdown/tow. I am not sure if there are any companies that offer this, it is usually to the closest repair centre, but I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭zg3409

Many insurers offer it as an optional extra and it's typically far cheaper than joining the AA. Often they are the cheaper type policies with no home start help or limited distances or not paying for taxis home. You might get better info by getting online quotes and looking at the details or ringing a broker and explaining your needs. You might be better to keep a nest egg emergency fund of a few thousand in your account than buying optional extra cover that you may never use. I always keep enough to buy a banger in case of a crash, or to pay for a tow, or pay for minor repairs etc. Any insurance charges more than it costs them to provide the service. You can often haggle a towing price at the time. For example I got a car towed from limerick to Dublin for about 200 euro, but it took a few days and arrived on a large multi car transporter.

Advertisement