Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black and Red wiring

Options
  • 15-09-2022 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

I'm looking to get some extra plug sockets in my kitchen and sitting room. I already have 3 double sockets in each room.

Had an electrician look he told me my plug breakers were only 10amp and i should get them replaced with 20amps. Also, my fuse board has 2 cables going into the meter and was told i should get that replaced to. The electrician was very helpful but was honest enough to say he was very busy, and it be next year before he could do the work. Also, he pointed out that my wiring was the old black, red wires and I might have issues finding anyone wanting to work with the older wiring.

I'm just curious to know if this is correct that the red, black cables are dated as I'm not able to afford a total rewiring at present.

Also is it an issue to change a 10amp breaker to a 20amp breaker with the red, black wiring

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Red black cable is probably the older pvc/pvc t+e

Those installations can be ok to work on but you'd probably be wiring from the main board if everything checks out with the main wiring

You'd need to be very cautious about upping any circuit fuses or mcbs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

They are probably 10amp as that's what the cable is rated for. Upgrading them to 20amp could leave you with cables that can't handle that current, and it could be dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Ya I'd be wary of any sparks advising uprating any circuit protection

It's not just what you see connected to a protective device , it's also what's connected downstream

Advertisement