Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protecting Begonia bulbs outdoors from frost

Options
  • 15-09-2022 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,843 ✭✭✭

I planted beautiful begonia flowers that might be near enough coming to the end of there seasonal life. Rather than dig up the bulbs some of which are in large pots I was wondering would say a plastic bag or any other suggested cover protect the bulbs during the winter from the frost or would they have to be dug up and replanted next spring when the last frost has finished?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Its not only frost but general cold and wet that could be an issue. I'd be inclined to bring them in and start them again next spring. That's just my experience, others might have other ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Its the wet that gets them, but they might be OK under about 6 inches of bark mulch, but I doubt it.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 miaramaciotti

To protect begonias during winter, you can either store their tubers indoors or move potted begonias to a sheltered location. Avoid using plastic bags, and instead use breathable materials such as burlap or frost cloth. Check for any damage regularly.

Advertisement