Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happens when getting apple to replace a battery on a phone?

Options
  • 15-09-2022 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭

Have two iPhone 11 that I want to get the battery changed on as they're now both at service level.

If I send them in for service (€75 each), are they just going to send me out another one that's already been serviced or are they going to service my actual one?

As far as I know, when getting them done by apple the seals etc are all replaced so it becomes dust & water proof again, vs getting one done in a phone repair shop where they use a generic battery, & just open & replace & seal with no real consideration for seals.

Reason I ask is the back glass on one of them is cracked & I was wondering if they're just sending me them off the shelf, should I call out that I want this done (€235 cost) or will they just grab two & send them back to me refurbished like new?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I have a box on the way for a 12 that has a battery health of 79%, should me with me on Monday or Tuesday, I'll update you then, ive logged the serial number so if its changed out, the new unit will have a different serial number. My 12 pro max is 84% and they won't entertain that one just yet. Ill chance a service call on that one when I'm in London at the end of the month.

Im giving the pro max to my wife so it will practically be a new phone when I get the battery done, I'll more than likely be selling the 12, a new battery should add to the value of the 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭OU812

With the one at 84%, will they not take that for service or just you don't think it's worth doing yet? Have another at 84% & was going to get that done as well.

The agent who i was onto via chat wasn't prepared to put it through for me, kept saying it didnt need to be done yet

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

They usually send you a refurbished phone or iPad. They get yours in, inspect it, and if it passes,send out the replacement immediately.

So if I was to send the one with the cracked back, it most likely wouldn't be simply swapped out?

• Advertisement

Nope, they will contact you and tell you how much extra the repair will cost you

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

They get you to fill out a survey about the condition of the phone before they send out the box.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

They won't repair just the battery, you're gonna have to get the glass and the battery done, which will be well over the 300euro mark

No they dont, I have a box out for delivery in the morning and they never asked about the condition of the phone on saturday evening when I organised this return, Ive sent phones back many times over the years and have never been asked before either.

ok, now I'll be eagerly awaiting the rest of this thread :)

• Advertisement

They have asked me about the condition of the phone or iPad, if there is damage etc. only did it recently for an iPad battery replacement.

Very strange alright, I've sent many devices back over the years and have never been asked, the iphone 12 I am sending back is gone to the courier tonight so I'm expecting it to be back in Czech Republic on Thursday morning, I'll await a further update then as as of now I haven't been asked for any card details for the replacement battery, on the repair email, if clearly stated there would be no charge, but that has to be incorrect as this phone was purchased through Apple on launch day in 2020, unless they are going to cover it under consumer law. If consumer law does indeed cover it, then I will definitely be sending my pro max back to them also.

Coverage

Based on the information you've provided, we believe your repair will be covered by the warranty, an AppleCare product, an Apple repair program, or consumer law. This means there should be no other charges. We'll let you know if we have questions or concerns about the coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

I have an 11 Pro with 84% battery that I am passing on the the father in law, I'm thinking if doing it by post too, I am assuming they actually do replace the battery and don't replace it?

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

You mean will they replace the phone entirely? I think they send you a refurb rather than repairing yours and sending it back, this is how they maintain their very quick turnarounds.

They will ask you to wipe the phone and turn off the find-my-iphone feature before sending it.

Just had a notification from apple saying “my phone has been repaired” battery was 79% health so wanted it replaced. So far I haven’t been charged nor have they asked for any card details, the phone has also been assigned a tracking number to come back to me.

Could just be standard wording. Be interesting when you check the serial numbers & check for any marks you were aware of.

To my knowledge, any refurbs they sell online have the entire outsides replaced - case & glass.

Well it was dispatched by DHL today, due for delivery on Monday, case notes confirm battery replacement and that there was no charge so happy days. I did take a screenshot of the serial and the only marks on the phone were on the ring of the rear camera, a lot of the paint was gone.

Phone came back today, can confirm that it was the same phone that came back, same serial number, same scuff mark on rear camera surround also. There was a new battery fitted and I also wasn't charged for the repair either.

I am going to London this weekend and I have booked an appointment in one of the Apple Stores over there to have my 12 pro max battery replaced, I am not expecting to get that one done for free, but ill let ye know next week :)

Thanks for the update.

looks like I’ll have to suck up the repair so, but will be worth doing.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

I also have an iPhone @ 84% battery , I booked into Select (Swords) and was told that they could not replace the battery until it was below 80% ...

• Advertisement

Is it outside warranty? Can't imagine why there would be an issue gettin it replaced if you're paying for it?

I had a genius bar appointment in Regent Street last Friday, no 12 pro max batteries in stock so replacement wasn't carried out, I tried three other apple stores in London over the weekend and none of those had stock either, a bit ridiculous really. None of the stores mentioned not being able to do the replacement @ 84%. I will go down the route of sending it back to them via support now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭ozmo

I got a battery fixed with a place as official as you can get in Ireland - Mactivate in Blanchardstown Corporate Park - address was got from apple.ie website.

They repaired it while I waited and had access to all the Apple software needed to register everything. Jobs was good - official battery etc. Was in warranty so no charge.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭ozmo

Cannot remember- mid 80’s i think but charge wouldn't hold for a full day with even light usage.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

For info, I recently went to get my iPhone Xs battery changed in Select (formerly CompuB) in Dundrum (I was ok with paying the €75), but the guy said that they couldn't do it without replacing the whole phone, as the back glass was cracked, and on the Xs, the rear glass is part of the body - replacing the whole phone would cost €669 (!), so I went upstairs to the third party repair shop, and got a third-party battery in 20 minutes for €50 - three-month warranty, and the capacity is way better than the old Apple battery, but not as big as a new Apple one.

Very annoying, as the rear only got damaged a month ago - knocked off a windowsill onto the corner of a radiator, cracked even though it had a cover on it.

Does battery health show up on the 3rd party battery, I got a battery done a few years ago in one of those shops but afterwards it no longer gave me a battery health figure

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

No, only Apple batteries have an iOS-compatible BMS (battery management system) built in, to show a battery health figure* - my phone shows "Unknown Part" under the Battery Health section, but does still say "Peak Performance Capability" (ie: processor not being slowed down).

BTW, for the first few weeks, the phone showed a red flag on the Settings icon, warning me that the battery wasn't genuine - thank god that disappeared, it was driving me mad every time I looked at the home screen.

*I don't think that the Battery Health function works anyway, at the moment, due to the ongoing court cases (eg: https://www.bbc.com/news/business-61823512). I reckon so because, about a year ago, my wife's iPhone 8 began showing a "Service Required" warning and was showing 86% health, but when it first appeared, her battery was still relatively ok, but it has degraded noticeably further over the last few months, but the percentage didn't change at all. (co-incidentally, today is the day that I got her battery changed at Mactivate in Dublin - €69, and Battery Health is 100% again).

Similarly, about a year ago, my own iPhone Xs didn't have a "Service Required" message, but the percentage was already below hers at 84%. The battery life also degraded noticeably in the last few months, but again, the percentage remained firmly at 84% until the battery was changed recently (now shows "--" because it's a non-Apple battery).

Just to add, had the battery in the 11 Pro changed in Select in Limerick, dropped in last Saturday, they rang to say it could be collected Tuesday gone. 84% battery, €75 for the replacement.

• Advertisement

Sent away my 12 pro max on Tuesday morning for a battery replacement (84%) Phone was "repaired" and sent back to me today, again there was no charge on this. This is the third time I've sent a phone back to apple for a battery replacement now and I've yet to be charged. All three phones were purchased on Apple EPP discount scheme and all were well out of warranty and none had apple care on them either.

Advertisement