Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MG4 or Kona

• 16-09-2022 2:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭

I've a round trip commute of at least 300km three days per week with some periodic site visits . I'm running a 152 - 2l Peugeot 508 estate with 160000km on it. atm getting around 5.8l/100 km with an nct to 11/23. Given the fuel costs and the desire to get off the dinosaur juice more generally, I've narrowed my choice down to the MG4 long range at around 37k€ and the Kona at 40k€. The Kona has the slightly longer range but there's not much in it. I can charge at work and at home and I want to cruise on the motorway at 120kph for 75% of the journey. Delivery for the MG is November and the Kona end September but not 100% on that. Car has to be new. Any advice or anything in missing? Both are smaller than what I have but needs must. Budget is firm at 40k and I need the car this year realistically. Anything else within that budget within the parameters? Thanks in advance. .🙂

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Miscreant

The Kona is quite small inside while I have no idea about the MG4 (although it is supposed to be comparable to a VW ID3). You could look at a second-hand Kia Soul for your budget as there are a few on the market at the moment or an e-Niro. They would both easily do your trips and have the balance of the Kia warranty. Other than those, you are probably looking at one of the Stellantis electrics like the e208 or Corsa-e but I am not sure about their availability.

As an aside, I was not aware that MG had announced prices or delivery estimates for the MG4, but am I correct in assuming the €37k is for the top of the range model?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Theres some Cupra Born available in next few weeks around the country according to different dealers ads on Carzone and donedeal. Could get one for a smidge over 40k I'd say, price will start with a 4 for sure but not much over. In my opinion, biased of course because i just bought one, it's a nicer looking car than the kona or mg but I don't know how it compares to them for range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Well personally I want to order the MG myself.

Its a roomier car then the Kona, probably drives a lot better (judging by MG4 reviews) and will likely end up cheaper when comparing 64 kwh vs 64 kwh battery.

Faster charging on the MG4 also - on a 150 kw charger you could be at 80 percent in the MG4 in 15 minutes faster vs Kona

What the Kona does have in its favour is that its been out a few years so Hyundai have had time to iron out issues.

Also the Hyundai warranty on full car* 2 years less then the MG but unlike MG its unlimited mileage.

So if you are going do over over 150 k kms** in 5 years the Hyundai could work better.

Theres also the Kia Niro EV to consider

*separate longer warranty for the battery pack

**MGs mileage limit

Hold on - where did you get a price for MG4 of 37 k?????.

Thats more then I was hoping for tbh when compared with UK prices for the MG4.

You can get into a long range MG4 with the normal spec for under 29 k sterling in Uk and they dont have a grant to buy EVs any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

I would be apprehensive about these Chinese MGs. It's a combination of a country that never made a good car taking over a brand that never made a good car. Much like Jaguar and Land Rover only cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,605 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

These aren't traditional cars, they're software and electronics on wheels.

China has been making the most sophisticated and advanced electronics you can buy for decades and by all accounts, their quality has been steadily improving for years. Tesla are notorious for poor build quality, I'd have an MG4 over a Tesla Model 3 based on build quality backed up with a 7 year/ 150,000km warranty (vs 4 year 50k mile warranty with tesla)

The MG brand is irrelevant to the new Chinese models, it's just for marketing

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mc2022B2TF

I think the question we all have is who is selling u a mg4 for delivery in November????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

That's good to know so when the brakes are sticking and the track rods and suspension is falling out of them I'll just download an update to fix it so will I?

Agreed on Tesla. Had a good look at an uncovered chassis of one at the Paris motor show a few years back and the chassis welds looked like they were done by one of those lads on a back to work scheme in Fas in Ballyfermot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭KildareP

Things have moved on since "a few years ago". Including the MG actually building cars.

• Advertisement

I wonder is the OP mistaken and was told about the MG5 instead. That would be around €37k-ish for the top of the range model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,819 ✭✭✭creedp

I wonder is there a link between high EV prices and large new EV grants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭coolbeans

That's the mid range MG4 not the Trophy. Johnson and Perrott Cork is the dealer. The price isn't official but it's my conservative estimate following conversation with sales man. One poster suggested used but has to be new for reasons.

I suppose a 77kwh ID3 at around 41k after grant can't be got... I think a Borne is out of reach.

The delivery date for MG4 is Nov 22. The interior of the Kona is a nicer place to be but it's pricier and smaller.

Interesting. If the mid range MG4 works out at 37k then it will be a lot more expensive than the UK. Sounds like MG here might be "absorbing" some of the grant to generate a little more profit if accurate.

MG4 in November 22?

Based on Johnson and Perrott quoted prices on done deal for Opel EV stuff.

Id say that their 37 k projected price is really 32 k when grant taken off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

MG 4 will be in the 28-32k bracket. No way it will be 37, that's what the ZS costs.

I'd be surprised if it was here in November though. The ZS was "due in Nov" last year and I actually only picked up mine mid July, and I was one of the lucky ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

There's no way the top spec MG4 will be less than 32k after grants. It's Ireland we're talking about. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I highly doubt the larger battery MG4 will be that cheap, can't see it being any less than €35k.

Do either of these cars have radar cruise control? I know older Konas didn't, it's an absolute must in terms of modern day convenience, especially if you're doing big mileage.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Older Kona's do, the specc'd model sold in Ireland did not but a good few imported from the UK so there is a few around

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fafy

Btw, the ID3 VW “Tour 5” 77kmh, has been priced at 47k AFTER grants, including metallic, for a few months now. If i recall, it went up roughly 15% some months ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fafy

I gather. OP is only interested in brand new models.

There is the new Megan E-Tech 60kwh, the entry level 60kwh Equilibre is 42k, unsure of extra delivery & metallic costs, but a trade in might be an option. Range is 450 km’ish. They were originally supposed to be available be years end, but this may have changed. Good on range, but not as spacious.

The entry level Hyundai Ioniq 5 Executive is roughly 42k delivered also, has the same base price, as the Kona 64kw. It has less range(380km), but fast charging and great tech, and way more space, allthough it won’t do, anywhere near 300km of motorway driving @120kph, without recharging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭crisco10

Have the 58kwh executive, and can confirm that at 115kph, its range is pretty much exactly 300km.

I can also confirm that with a warm battery, 20% to 80% in ~20mins is entirely doable on the right charger.

They have MG pilot as standard. So it will keep you in the lane, goes around corners, and speed up / slow down in cruise control behind the car in front. Pretty much drives itself on motorway and in traffic jams. Also Reads speed signs and can be set to slow down so you don't get points.

Only thing the higher spec'd one gets is blind spot warnings for cars in the lane beside you. Lane change assist. Rear cross traffic alert if you are reversing our of a space and some one is going past.

The standard range base level will be 2 and top spec will be 30k. And long range will be 31&34k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

If the long range base model is €31k it'll be very popular as most reviews claiming this is actually the most efficient and goes further than the more expensive Top spec long range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,732 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Personally I'd go for the Kona and steer clear of any Chinese branded car.

Chinese electronic brands have historically been poor enough in manufacturing quality, the same can't be said for Korean brands.

I'm also thinking that if China ever invade Taiwan the sanctions will make spare parts very hard to get in Europe. MG and other chinese brands do 100% of their manufacturing in China after all.

There is a lot of speculation happening in this thread in relation to the price of the MG4 when it appears. Methinks we all just need to wait for the official announcement (which I am surprised has not happened yet TBH).

The price of the vehicle in the UK or elsewhere will have little bearing on the price it will be here. All you need to do is look at the price of a Dacia Jogger here, which can be got for many thousands less in other countries in the EU.

Chinese or not, all manufacturers are having parts supply issues. Most of the parts for car brands are made in China so sanctions, embargoes and so on will not just affect MG, but also other brands so IMO that would not be a reason forgo buying an MG vehicle.

In any case, this is not the MG4 thread... It is the OP asking whether to go for the Kona or MG4.

@coolbeans I highly doubt the MG4 will be here in November considering it will not be officially available in the UK until 2023. I still believe that the salesperson was getting confused with the MG5, which would come in around the price you mentioned for the long-range model. Be that as it may, you are not going to have an MG4 this side of the New Year. You might be able to pick up a Kona 64, brand new (for reasons), within your timeframe, however. I will say though, that it is quite a small car internally so be sure it is what you want. Otherwise, you are definitely looking at something second-hand for your budget as anything else is mostly unavailable until next year (barring some Tesla models but they are outside your budget anyway).

Chinese or not, all manufacturers are having parts supply issues. Most of the parts for car brands are made in China so sanctions, embargoes and so on will not just affect MG, but also other brands so IMO that would not be a reason forgo buying an MG vehicle.

While what you say is true that many big names, most notably Tesla, manufacture some cars in China this is very different to manufacturing ALL your cars there

If China gets sanctioned over Taiwan then Tesla could, in theory, change assembly lines around and manufacture cars and parts at one of their "gigafactories" in Texas or Berlin. Most Chinese brands do not have the benefit of manufacturing facilities outside of China

Indeed, however if the parts you need to repair your Tesla, VW, Opel, Hyundai or "Insert Make Here" are made in China, you are still stuck. Anyway, my point actually is that just because your vehicle is manufactured in China, that should not necessarily rule it out from a buying perspective.

• Advertisement

all I did was look at the price of the ZS in the UK and here. And did the same calculation for the MG4.

You're missing my point, yes spare parts are made in China now but *insert make here* can move the manufacturing of said spare part to another part of the planet if they want to. Something which MG, and other chinese brands can't do because they only manufacture in China

That is one of the reasons why I would recommend a Kona over an MG4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭zg3409

My first concern would be 300+km per day. Many EVs would struggle with that range in very cold weather at full motorway speeds.

The 64kWh Kona has a real world range of only 270km+ in real harsh Irish winters.

If you drive an EV beyond its daily range then you need to public charge to get home. You could consider slowing down on days where temperatures are freezing and you need to stretch the range. Even dropping speed to 100km/h could get you an extra 30/50km range.

In terms of MG4 prices are out in UK but I would not trust Irish prices nor delivery dates. There may not even be an ROI model built yet. In terms of MG4 range we would really need a winter of Irish data to know for sure but many EVs even with big batteries struggle for 300+km at 120km/h in January temperatures.

That said fuel savings going to EV with 300km commute could be very substantial. Recharging at home is typically 7kW so you may need 10 hours at home to fill back up. This might be an issue if you are away in evening too and have an early start. Beware mileage limitations on car and battery warranty.

With any new car personally I would like to sit in it, try a few standard airport carry on bags in the boot, try back seats and driving feel and seat comfort. Ideally I would like owner feedback too such as software niggles, problems with comparability with Irish public chargers, real world charging speeds, and how well bells and whistles actually work such as lane keep assist and adaptive cruise control are in real conditions. If I was behind the wheel 3 hours a day these small things make a big difference to the stress and comfort. I think many of these comfort features were not standard on early konas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

You're wrong about the MG4 not being available in the UK until 2023. There are people on SpeakEV picking up their cars next week already.

• Advertisement

Yes

Certainly hope he's wrong. Kona was supposed to be here in August but now I'm doubting whether it'll arrive this year. At this stage, whatever arrives first I'll be buying.

Charging at work and home should see me right. Regardless, a round trip of ca. 280km should be doable without much stress.

I think MG4 will have demo cars in Dublin in next couple of weeks. They are not booking test drives yet but they are collecting interest. I would have assumed any Irish cars made in China would be built by now if they want them for customers in November this year. I never trust dealers on timelines nor pricing nor specs. I prefer to actually wait until some buyers give feedback on actual specs.

• Advertisement

Unless you can pop over the border and have a look at one, essentially you will be buying it blind. Having said that, that is the only possible way to get one as early as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭usual_suspect

Attached is the spec sheets for Ireland, received from dealer this week - the exact same as the UK (i.e. all right-hand drive for now). Disappointingly, the top-spec model in Europe gets a heat pump, and Europe also gets a lighter interior option.

As for spec feedback, there is an active MG4 group on Facebook with lots of real-world experience coming in. Good for insight. A few customers have experienced an issue, but overall good feedback.

I'm also being told there'll be demo cars here by the end of October...

- attached

You should rephrase, no heat pump on RHD models even in Europe as Ireland and the UK are indeed still in Europe. As are Malta and Cyprus :)

Disappointing about the interior colour, my niro has a lovely light grey interior, and I'd not welcome having to go back to coal-scuttle black again after that.

Also surprised at only single phase 7kW AC charging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

I have the same dilemma. Was going to go for the MG4 but there are so many mechanical and software issues with them that people are having. I think it is going to have to be the Kona for us tbh.

Pity because i was leaning towards the MG4 for a while there.

For me it was 50:50 between the two. The MG is an excellent package, drives beautifully and has a useful bit more space than the Hyundai. It also looks better and is probably a bit cooler. Re the MG4 issues I reckon they're overstated and nothing unusual tbf. The Kona is more tried and true though with a better range, a heat pump and stonking performance and range. It's a bit small though and looks like a mammy wagon.

There's a brand new Kona coming "soon", more like a mini Ioniq 5 inside with the two 10.25" screens, and hopefully a nice bright interior to match.

I'll wait a few years. The new model will probably be stupid money anyway. I only got mine on the 12th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

A friend just cancelled their MG4 order because of all the faults he is hearing about. Said he would wait til next year and see how it all shakes out and order a new car then but hes not taking the risk with the MG4 for now. . Told me I could go in and ask for his one, but i discussed it with the other half and she doesnt want to risk the MG4 either. I think there will be a fair few cancellations tbh. Nothing but issues with them. So much worse than any other new car launch ive ever seen. Hopefully they get their act together next year.

Some reports of 11kW charging, not sure if standard on all models.

Also vehicle to load may be technically capable of 7kW while adapter with UK socket is 2/3kW.

• Advertisement
Advertisement