Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ordered Vodafone 500M Fibre. There was VirginMedia before. What type of installation is required?

Options
  • 16-09-2022 9:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

I ordered vodafone 500M Fiber. I am renting and the apartment has boxes from NTL and UPC. I think previous tenant had Virgin Media cable. Does any of you know what would be needed to be done on the apartment?

I have to talk with the landlord if Vodafone needs to do any works. I asked to Vodafone, but it seems that I have to wait until the installer comes to take a look. I am afraid of having to wait until then just to realise that it needs to put any cable on my apartment and the landlord will not approve.

Does any of you have any idea about what type of installation is required?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭snapper365

You say there are already boxes for NTL and UPC, but these are both just previous iterations of Virgin Media so possibly one of those existing boxes is redundant (likely to be the NTL one as that's the older brand name). Or maybe they are both working if they're in separate rooms - that used to be how they managed multiroom.

Anyway, to answer your question re Vodafone Fibre: they are a retail service providers on three different fibre networks: SIRO, OpenEir and NBI. Things may vary slightly dependant on which one they are planning to connect you to but the connection process is fairly similar for all three. Regardless of which network it is, the installer will need to run a fibre cable to your apartment and install an Optical Network Terminal internally. It's hard to be more specific without knowing the exact situation with your apartment complex and the installer will decide those details on the day, but it's 100% certain there will be a new cable run to your apartment and a ONT put on the wall.

I'd be surprised if your landlord objected to this though, as having a connection to a high-speed fibre network (that isn't Virgin Media) makes the property a more attractive proposition for most people.

Advertisement