Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Long span deep shelf

• 17-09-2022 10:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

looking to put up a high shelf in the garage to put away outdoor cushions.

5m length.

Deep enough to take cushions

doesnt need to take much weight

is there anything light weight that could handle that span or would I need to support it along it’s length.

any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

My recommendation would be to put up a slatted shelf if its just cushions, might allow for a bit of air flow. You probably won't do it in one shelf 16 ft is the longest timber you can easily get and thats about a foot and four inches short of 5m. Nothing would cover that span but cheap metal brackets at the ends then every meter might just do it but I'd prefer them to be more like 60cm apart. Once the shelf is up its bound to end up with heavier stuff on it.

The best picture of what I'm thinking of is for shelves in a laundry room so ignore the hanging rail. You can strengthen the shelf and make it more rigid with an extra vertical lip at the front.

Then I'd use these cheap brackets

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Agree with slats for airflow.

I'd get some of these https://www.screwfix.ie/p/london-brackets-grey-200-x-250mm-20-pack/47371 (other sizes are available) and a few lengths of battens like this https://www.goodwins.ie/products/treated-rough-sawn-timber-50mm-x-22mm-4-8m-2x1-16ft.html?filter_set[]=20,266,1393, then concrete-screw (or whatever your preferred fixing is) battens to the wall, fix brackets to the battens, more battens on top of the brackets, then more battens length-ways to make your shelf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭randombar

Good call on the airflow. No avoiding the brackets all right I guess. Might chance two and see if that’ll do me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Can you support the ends? If the ends are against a wall you can put a couple of battens across for support. Another option instead of brackets would be supports or cords coming down from the ceiling. One batten along the back of the wall then front supported by cords attached to hooks in the ceiling?

Wake me up when it's all over.

Advertisement