Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When to commission a survey - immediately on sale agreed, or after receive contracts?

Options
  • 18-09-2022 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭

I was assuming that once I went sale agreed, one of the first things that I would do would be to organise a survey, which is what I've done in the past. My solicitor (who I haven't used before, but came strongly recommended by a friend) is saying that I should wait until the draft contract comes through, so that the surveyor has that to hand, and can compare what they see on the ground against any certs etc. provided.

I'm curious about other peoples' experiences here..?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I would listen to your solicitor. Sale Agreed can last for a while, so better off waiting until you are moving forward. If you are getting a valuation from the bank, it's best to wait until contracts also as they expire after a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭LunaLoo

When draft contracts come through but before you sign anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Very strange advice. It is always at sale agreed as there may be issues with the property that require renegotiation on price if a major fault. The surveyor can also ask for certs to be provided for what he sees rather than waiting for what they provide and then raising the issue.

Generally the solicitor will recieve a pack with the draft contracts, this will include details of planning and drawings, the engineer will need to verify the info in these. The solicitor will probably have to go back to the sellers solicitor a number of times before they are ready for signing. If issues are discovered you can negotiate further before signing the final contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

You get all of that from the solicitor along with a draft contract, so that's what was suggested. Sale Agreed means f-all, you might not even have a solicitor!

• Advertisement
Advertisement