Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric gates open after power outage

Options
  • 18-09-2022 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

After a power outage my gates open and remain open until a car passes through. After which they open and close as normal. Clearly this must be some safety measure. But what it really is is the dumbest feature I have ever seen. Go away on hols for 2 weeks and if even the smallest outage while you're away , even for 1 sec, you come back to gates wide open. I don't want to just cut the power to the gates when I go on hols as then delivery guys not be able to get in. Any one seen this problem before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,259 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

If you can open the control panel of your gates (usually on the wall beside one of the gates) and see if you can find the control board, and identify the manufacture and model. With that you can find a manual to see whats up, it could well be a dip switch to disable this 'feature'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Is there a GSM unit connected to your gate ?

Is there an induction loop set up there ?

How are your gates configured, as in are they set for pulse open / auto close ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭mayoman1973

Hi, yes, have a GSM unit. Two loops, inside and outside. The gates auto close enabled. Not sure what you mean by "pulse"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

A pulse is what we refer to as an open instruction given to a gate controller which is typically a split second Normally Closed signal on a Normally Open circuit originating at the controller.

This pulse comes from any device which is used to signal the gates to operate, it could be either of your induction loop detectors or your GSM unit. Usually in the event of a power cut all the devices and controller etc are decommissioned.

When the power comes back on, then all the devices power up together. My suspicion here is that one of your devices is transmitting a constant Normally Closed signal to that Normally Open circuit and this is causing the Controller to maintain that constant hold open to the gate motors.

This is not ideal at all in the long run for either the controller and indeed the motors, so I would encourage you to get a professional to follow up.

Advertisement