Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chamonix with the family

Options
  • 18-09-2022 9:35pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Thinking of Chamonix area (flying to Turin), 2 famiiles - 4 adults, 7 kids (ranging 13 down to 6). Adults and most of the kids have all skied multiple times. I have never been to Cham but I understand there are multiple towns that make up the over all area so where is best town to be looking for acomadation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

Why Turin and not Geneva? In relation on where to stay I guess it depends what the group wants and how willing you are to all jump on a bus to get to a ski area. Also what time of year are you looking at?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Gave up on Chamonix, after futher research doesn't make sense for a family group, will head for Serre Chevalier instead. Geneva flights were double the cost which is a pitty as I prob would have gone back to Morzine again. Trips with families have a very diffent dynamic to adult groups, everyone getting on a bus is an odeal and if your going to do it it has to be very straight forward (Söll for example).

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

Serre Chevalier is a much better option with family, especially if you are looking at flights for Turin. I spent last February and March there and will be doing the same this winter so if you are looking for any information on it, let me know.

Good to know, my first ski trip was there ~2009 and we're going back to the same acomadation as then (in Chantemerle and has a nice pool!) so I have a pretty good idea of things. Going the week before the frnech holidays start so hopefully there will be snow and it wont be too busy.

Kids will do ESF (they do a deal with passes up to 2 Star which is what me older 2 are up to now). I'd say we will rent with Sport 2000, close to the lift and 10% extra off for a large group.

Transfers are pricy this year, prev years sor ~2h trips return its been €300-€350, its going to be €550 this time by the looks if it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

You should try this website for transfers

Book Cheap Airport Transfers, Compare Taxi Services & Prices | Find Transfers

Enter your trip details and they forward them on to transfer companies operating in the area who'll then get back to you with quotes.

I've used them the past few years for Austria and have always found a good deal with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭a148pro

Good call re Chamonix, doesn't really suit families I don't think, albeit Le Tour is good for beginners

Re transfer, would you not drive? Italian car rental can be spectacularly cheap at that time of year. Always handy to have a car with kids. Italian roads very good, they always keep them open except in very heavy snow, which is rare, and you can now buy snow socks for tyres which are super easy to put on if you did get caught out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭OEP

I'd only recommend Chamonix for off piste and touring, and for that it's fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 hart.janis22

I think taxi airport transfers will be suitable for you!

Check their price before planning your trip on the website. They are final and don't change.

Post edited by hart.janis22 on

The group is 11 we got the transfer sorted, it was a good bit cheaper then a couple of 7 seaters.

Advertisement