Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Approaching 40

Options
  • 19-09-2022 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭

Hi, I’ve seen lots of different supplements and custom nutrition pills online, that are aimed at 40 to 50 year olds to boost metabolism and other benefits.

I’m now 40 so I’m sure my metabolism doesn’t burn fat like it used to :-)

I’m wondering is there something I should take at my age that helps with overall health and maximises your metabolism, or maximises other areas of your health.

Any recommendations on this would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,357 ✭✭✭bladespin

It does if you're using it right, hitting 40 doesn't suddenly drop your metabolic rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Cill94

The pills you're looking for do not exist. The supplement industry is by and large a scam, outside of some well proven things for aiding resistance training like creatine or whey protein.

What you need my friend is to exercise regularly and eat nutritious food in sensible quantities. No magic pills will bypass this unfortunately. If you have any Qs don't hesitate to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭GoogleBot

Apple cider vinegar, one tablespoon in a glass of water, (taste like mild vine) will help to break down food

Regular fasting (24-48 hrs) will help to recycle old material and reset the system.

Perhaps you should start with addressing the root cause before taking anything dodgy...

"Testosterone products obtained from trusted sources and administered as per the recommendations of the manufacturer may still present some health risks..."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5870326/

It's rubbish and only a placebo btw, there's no such thing as 'herbal test', eating properly, exercise and even talking to someone you consider attractive are better test boosters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,450 ✭✭✭AllForIt

OP, as you get older you need to pay more attention to what you eat. Healthier and eat less. If you do that and don't have any deficiencies then there is no need to waste money on supplements.

I don't waste money on supplements, it's all a scam afaic. Cod liver oil all is about as much I would say is okay but technically that's just food, liquid food.

There is no reason an over 40yo can't be lean. If you eat healthier you hunger level will reduce so just eat less times per day. I find this fairly easy to do, which is why being older than you I've gotten rid of the belly and have the same waistline as when I was in my 20's.

Oh and btw, forget about your metabolism. If you do have a 'slow metabolism' it can improve by eating healthier foods. Beside that you can't do much about it. If you body isn't using up the calories you ate then really you shouldn't have eaten those calories in the first place.

Have you ever tried cod liver I would think the best option to cod liver oil alone imho

• Registered Users Posts: 6 MrNutrient

As at least one other person has pointed out there isn't a single 'silver bullet' pill that will reverse aging. There are, however, a host of supplements that can delay aging. Here are a few.

Promoting stem cell health: You can't buy supplements that are actually stem cells, but you can take supplements that enhance, or activate, stem cells. The blue-green algae spirulina helps to promote proliferation of all types of stem cells, including brain stem cells.

Limit free radical damage: The free radical theory of aging states that free radicals are responsible for age-related damage of cells. Antioxidants are the best tool to limit free radical damage. A few of the best antioxidants include krill oil (which includes the antioxidant astaxanthin), Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10), and polyphenols (a compound found in many plants, particulary berries).

Disagree. The only natural way to delay aging scientifically confirmed prolong fasting and healthy, nutritionally dense food in between.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I'm 42. About a year ago I dropped a couple of kg and got pretty ripped just by cleaning up my diet a bit while continuing to exercise a fair bit. I noticed no difference between now and when I was younger. Don't believe everything you read.

• Advertisement

If you are not a jellyfish Turritopsis then you clock is ticking regardless of the feelings...

Post edited by GoogleBot on

True but 40 is certainly not when you'll notice it, 40 is where a lot of people (especially men) take their foot off the gas and become sedentary and the damage that does is what you notice, the typical man is well able to train into his 60s (and possibly beyond), yes we all age and yes we deteriorate but nowhere near as fast as some seem to think.

Tell this child with fast aging disease

Doubt that's the OP and if it is he's got other things to worry about, it affects about 1 in 8 million so it's certainly not common either.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I'm a woman, so the effects of my 40s have the potential to be a lot more pronounced due to menopause. But I had gotten quite over-weight and out of shape by 39 and realisation that was 40 looming was a kick up the arse to get in shape. So while turning 40 isn't magic and becoming fit won't get harder overnight, it isn't a bad thing when a big birthday makes someone take stock and think about how they want to age and take as much control of that as possible. I think the most important thing is to have a form of exercise that you absolutely love and have continual goals for. I'm 44 and really fit and strong now but I know that over the last few years I'd have lost that, especially over lockdowns and having had 'long Covid' which meant I couldn't exercise for months in 2020 and a horrible medication I was on last year, if my only goal was staying healthy. But I have various goals in my hobby that require me to stay fit and keep getting get stronger and more flexible. So while I enjoy being fit and strong and am very glad my lifestyle is adapted to keep me that way, it's a side-effect of my dream desires.

I keep my diet generally pretty good and gently fast, 14-16 hours, for most of the month but not right around my period or today. I'm not super strict about not ever eating junk but I do aim to be genuinely moderate with it. I also take a number of supplements, mainly aimed around hormone regulation. I'm aware they could be bullshit but my periods have gone from being changeable after my first Covid infection to having reverted back to how they were in my early 20s and my endometriosis symptoms have gone, within a couple of months of starting trans-resveratrol. I also take GABA to help me sleep, as I have post covid insomnia, and GABA is associated with muscle growth, but while I do look muscular for a woman, I wouldn't say that has anything much, if at all to do with the GABA. I also take pomegranate extract and eat prunes daily as for my bone density as my mother was recently diagnosed with osteoporosis and while I know the type of exercise I do is the best preventative, I honestly just feel like adding a few precautions as I skate and have a higher risk of breaking bones.

I listen to Peter Attia podcasts sometimes and try to apply his protocols of decreasing the effects of ageing through maintaining certain standards of exercise. I think it just makes sense that the most strength and fitness you maintain as you age, certain illnesses and injuries aside, the less you will feel the effects of that ageing.

There's also an excellent FB group for Health and Fitness over 40s, I'm 49 this year and it was the big 40 that kicked my own butt into action.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

Advertisement