Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Broadband service problems

Options
  • 19-09-2022 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭

So far I have tried a couple of providers such as Vodafone, Eir, and have failed to get a service because I have no mobile phone.

Is there a way to get service without providing a mobile number?

I do not have one and have no need of one, and I have no intention of asking a friend to use their number.

This situation seems very very odd to me. I want to get a fixed premises broadband service, on which I will have a VOIP phone, but they absolutely require a mobile phone number before they will provide the service.

Suggestions ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

Would you not just get a cheap pay-as-you-go SIM just in order to have a number you can use for this one situation, without paying a recurring bill?

Or do you just not want to hand out your details to a company unnecessarily?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Got it sorted!

I got an old discarded SIM from a relative and used that number.

It will never receives any messages etc. but it got me through the system ... it is not even in a phone!

@heavydawson

No, I would not get a SIM just to get a fixed broadband connection.

Most likely I will meet such requirements in future for other services, but again I hope I will be able to avoid the requirements.

Forcing customers to get a mobile service is not acceptable to me under any circumstances where it is unnecessary for provision of the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,281 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The problem you will have is that updates such as engineer visits etc to install the broadband will be sent to the SMS.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I will not have a visit.

It will be a self install, so no worries on that score.

I received the router today ... the fastest I have ever heard of, TBH.

I will know soon enough ... supposed to get the new connection on Friday.

Ok well hopefully it goes grand for you. Remember that mobile number - if you do have to call them up in future they will likely ask for it as a verification question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

How do you plan on making contact with your provider if you have a loss of service?

How do you plan on being notified of planned service interruptions?

How do you plan on troubleshooting an issue with your connection with your ISP where they need you to reboot the router or your VOIP service isn't working correctly

I have no plans of that kind.

I expect planned interruptions will be advertised or otherwise made public. If the connection disappears completely I can check with my neighbour to determine if it is mine alone or a bigger problem. Just as I would if the electricity goes off unexpectedly.

So far they have sent me multiple email messages, so I would hope they will continue to use email should they wish to inform me of any change in provision of service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

So if I'm reading your reply right you have "no plans of that kind" in answer to "How do you plan on making contact with your provider if you have a loss of service?"

What?! are you expecting your ISP to just know that your service isn't working? that's not how it works.

For planned service interruptions with almost all ISPs they will directly inform those who are affected, not the general public, advertising to the general public actually creates more calls.

Best of luck troubleshooting issues over email when your VOIP service is not working or not working correctly

Up to me to fix it, as I will be using my own router. ISPs do not provide any support for users' devices.

One relevant piece of info I forgot to include above ....... there is no mobile reception from any provider in my home, so even if I had a need for a mobile phone I could not use it while carrying out any instructions (such as reboot the router) issued by the ISP support staff.

We will see how it all works out. I have since received a discarded old-style Nokia for the SIM, not that it is useful in the circumstances.

I most certainly will not be signing up to any mobile 'plan' just to get and retain a fixed premises FTTH broadband service.

• Advertisement
Advertisement