Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

5G Modem

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

Interested in one of these myself, however for my setup, I see three are mounting an outdoor 5G router as part of their €40 contract which works out at €360. (€15 over 2 years on top of the €25 you would pay if going DIY). I think I might just pull the trigger on that but would love to know how much of an upgrade I will be getting over 4g which is 30-80mbps depending on the time of day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭homingbird

Since 5g routers are designed for faster speeds even 4g like max upload is capped at 50mb which i have never reached if you can get higher speeds on 4g you will get them on a 5g box so worth it for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Sono Topolino

I bought a China Unicom 5G router from Aliexpress and get speeds of between 100-200mbps download but uploads are restricted to about 10% of that. However, using a VPN my upload speeds actually increase ironically enough. I suspect Three is throttling upload speeds to conserve bandwidth.

If you use a Three sim card make sure you set the APN to "3ireland.ie" rather than "3broadband.ie" or "open.internet" or they will throttle your speed.

The nice thing about the Unicom router is that it has an SMS function. This is useful for accessing Three customer service. I'm investigating connecting a phone to it as well...

"In addition to the high data rate experience, UNISOC V510 also supports VoNR voice calls." Wonder how to make this work...

https://www.router-switch.com/china-unicom-5g-cpe-vn007.html

Hi are you in a strong 5G area for those speeds what is signal strength like how many bars more than 2 bars.

I am only getting two bars on the router tbh. I think that is because I am in the basement and there are walls/trees obstructing the signal.

• Advertisement

Ok thanks that link you gave seem only to be for a router not modem for 99 euro correct.

What I have is a router with a sim card slot (and I assume modem, as it connects to the internet). I bought mine from AliExpress for a somewhat higher price: https://m.aliexpress.com/item/1005003463513984.html

Advertisement