Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dongle 300 v 150 mbps

• 19-09-2022 10:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I was thinking of getting a dongle with 300mbps rather than the one I have with 150mbps. A techie guy I know very dismissively said that there’s no difference between the two and really it’s the signal on your phone (or the sim in the dongle) that matters.

I have no reason to doubt that view of course but he couldn’t really give an answer as to why - if there’s no difference - do they sell a 300 mbps if 150mbps is no different.

appreciate any comments. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

Are you getting the full 150 Mbps with your current dongle? If you're not maxing out the speed currently, you'll go no higher as you may only have certain speeds in your area. It may only be useful getting the 300 if the coverage allows for it.

Beverly Hills, California

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭karlitob

I have the coverage all right.

i was told that 5 bars on your phone was all that mattered and that 5 bars was better than 1. I though the number of bars thing wasn’t accurate.

Either way, I would presume that 300 is better than 150 or else they wouldn’t make 300.

as you can see, little to no knowledge. Thanks for help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Glaceon

It depends on one major thing, what speed is your current internet connection? Will you get the benefit from it? A 150 Mb dongle will only give you about 70-80 Mb/s in reality.

Regarding the bars on a phone, they're pretty much meaningless across different phone types. The RSRP/RSCP dBm figure is what really matters. One manufacturer could set a two bar signal at -90 dBm while another could have it at -100 dBm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭karlitob

Sorry for silly q. When you mean current internet connection - you mean the connection strength that the SIM card connects to the internet with.

it’s a work dongle and I’ve asked for 300 and they’re saying only 150 and I’m not clear what the difference is - all I know is that it’s as slow as shite and I live in the middle of the big smoke and my previous 300 dongle did everything for me - no issues. Teams, outlook etc etc

what do i need to do to check? I fee like somewhat of a ludite on this.

Advertisement