Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employment Contract

Options
  • 20-09-2022 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi All,

Returning to work after a long absence (elective), I'm delighted to be returning to work at the end of the month. Its a professional role but entry level and while its a good enough salary it is low but above the hourly rate of pay. After my absence from the workplace I am relieved to have been offered the role TBH.

I just received the contract. I'm honestly not that happy because my expectations were a wee bit misaligned with reality. Perhaps you could tell me if I'm overthinking things, or should I negotiate terms with my potential employer.

1. The mileage rate is 40c/km and I would be expected to use my own car for perhaps 200km on a busy week. Is this not a bit on the low side given the increases in fuel and car and car part prices?
    2. The work hours are 40 per week. 9.30-6.30pm. I was expecting 9-5 like all other past roles in my professional life. Is this a new thing that has changed? I was hoping to be home to make dinner for my children but I might have to plan around this new schedule.
    3. I have to agree to bodily searches if requested. I've never had this on a contract before and I don't know why it's there. I'm not working in a jewellery shop or pharmacy...it's an offfice role.

I feel very grateful for the job offer but slightly disappointed with the above. I've never negotiated a contract before and would feel reluctant to do so now since I feel I got lucky since I've been hired after a lengthy gap out of the workforce. I'm afraid my job would be threatened for speaking up.

Would love to hear your thoughts!

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

If you can't speak up before signing the contract, you certainly won't be able to do it after...

If the role isn't financially viable for you then you have 2 options, renegotiate or refuse the offer.

One thing I would say is that you seem overly grateful just to have been given an offer. Yes you may have a gap in the CV but that doesn't mean you have to take whatever is given to you, the country is at a very high employment level so really there should be other options out there.

So I would renegotiate, and if you still are not happy with the offer then let it pass and keep looking. I certainly wouldn't take a mileage rate that could leave out out of pocket on your expenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,211 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

1. A lot of companies use civil service rates as a benchmark. Pre-Sept 2022 this was just under 40c per km for the middle tier. It's since gone up to 43c this month. I would definitely ask for at least 43, or the top tier which is 52c. https://www.revenue.ie/en/employing-people/employee-expenses/travel-and-subsistence/civil-service-rates.aspx
    2. IMO a lot of working hours can be flexible. Ask if you can have core hours (where you HAVE to be in the office) maybe 10am-4pm, and then you can start early or late depending on your schedule. they may be very flexible already.
    3. This is a weird one, I have this in my contract too. they can search me or my bag while I'm in the building. I've never seen it done in real life. Others can pitch in with their own experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

9-5 is almost never actually a thing: once you take off an hour for lunch each day, it only equates to 35 hours/week.

So 9:30-6:30 is a 40 hour week. Legally hour have to take at least 1/2 for lunch. You could ask if there's any option to only take 1/2 an hour and finish at 6pm. But the hours may depend on customer demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

None of those things are *that* unusual, imo, although nor are they particularly fantastic terms. Pretty much everywhere I'd worked previous to my last job was a 37.5 hour week. That one was 40 hours, (9-6 with an hour for lunch) and tbh, it did feel long.

As for the mileage, again, it's not generous but then again, mileage isn't supposed to be - it should cover fuel and wear & tear and that's it. I once worked in a company (motor industry and all!) where the rate was 12c per kilometre.

You can try negotiating but I suspect all of the things you've mentioned are simply company-wide policy and not really up for discussion. What you could try and do is negotiate a better hourly rate to offset the first two somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

I would find the 06:30 part quite off putting.

Do you see any chance to do, say, 09:00 to 17:30, with 30 mins for lunch? Could be worth asking at least.

• Advertisement
Advertisement